Big Baitrunner LC

Started by swoffer, August 18, 2017, 07:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swoffer

Hi guys .

With all the Photobucket issues most of the tutorial threads are hard to follow now (Pricks)

Can someone help me to get into the drag of the above ?

The schematic doesnt show it unfortunately , it just shows the spool #### as a single part .

There are 4 small , what seem to be , retaining screws that have been removed no problem but cant get any further .

Cheers Al

exp2000

Think it's just like most other baitrunners of the period.

You just gently pry out the rubber seal to access the standard issue drag stack.
~

swoffer

Cheers for that .

So , I got pissed of and decided that more force was required , thats what it took . The rubber seal is held in place by the plastic cap which is held in by the 4 screws I described . Its a very tight fit and just requires careful but considerable force to pop it out .

What I found underneath was interesting .

I got sent 2 identical reels that had not been touched since new and had recently been for a swim .

Firstly the metal washers in these things are aluminium  .

Second thing was one had felt washers (x3) , the other had the more fibrous material that Shimano used . Even more odd was the one with the darker , denser material had the fiber washers doubled up , yep , 2 fiber 1 metql 2 fiber 1 metal and so on . Never seen that before .

Anyway , job done .

exp2000

Quote from: swoffer on August 18, 2017, 09:58:03 AM
Cheers for that .

Second thing was one had felt washers (x3) , the other had the more fibrous material that Shimano used . Even more odd was the one with the darker , denser material had the fiber washers doubled up , yep , 2 fiber 1 metql 2 fiber 1 metal and so on . Never seen that before .

Anyway , job done .

Felt washers were standard issue for this series.

Not sure what you can do with the big one one but D series carbontex washers are interchangeable for the 4500 and 6500 models.
~

philaroman

are you sure those metal washers are aluminum?  some old/high-end Shimano (original Sustain, etc.) drag washers were titanium...  definitely didn't look/feel like steel -- MUCH lighter in weight/color; could be confused w/ dense aluminum alloy

fresh2salt

Not to hijack your post, but would this happen to be the Baitrunner CI4+ XTR-A Longcast? If so, would you happen to tell me about your reel, like how far it casts, and how is it compared to the Ultegras. I am finding much difficulty finding out much info about this reel online.

swoffer

Quote from: philaroman on August 19, 2017, 10:02:37 AM
are you sure those metal washers are aluminum?  some old/high-end Shimano (original Sustain, etc.) drag washers were titanium...  definitely didn't look/feel like steel -- MUCH lighter in weight/color; could be confused w/ dense aluminum alloy

Well , good point , cant say ive ever held an titanium washer .

But these are very light and corroding like you would expect Ali too .

swoffer

Quote from: fresh2salt on August 19, 2017, 10:53:00 AM
Not to hijack your post, but would this happen to be the Baitrunner CI4+ XTR-A Longcast? If so, would you happen to tell me about your reel, like how far it casts, and how is it compared to the Ultegras. I am finding much difficulty finding out much info about this reel online.

Nah , these are Big Baitrunner LCs . Pretty old reels , tried to get some main & pinion sets for them but no luck . Discontinued now . But some shims and a spit and polish brought them back to life.