DIFFERENCES Among "10000" Reels ?

Started by ez2cdave, August 19, 2017, 05:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

I am not knowledgable about Abu Ambassadeur reels . . . I have some questions about the various models of "10000" series reels.

I have seen models listed as 10000, 10000C, 10000CA, 10000CL, 10000CT, and "TEN".

It appears that some are 2-Speed, while others are Single Speed. One model is a Levelwind ( the "CL", I think ).

Some appear to be "genuine" Swedish reels, "semi-genuine" Swedish reels that are "assembled" in Sweden from outsourced parts, and outright, "non-genuine" Swedish from completely Asian origins.

There appear to be both "round-bar" and "flat-bar" style frames. as well.

WIth all that said, I am interested in the following :

(1) Non-Levelwind

(2) Strongest design

(3) Most reliable and best quality

(4) Years of production for the different models and how to identify them

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

Over a year and still no replies ?

Tight Lines !

whalebreath

Quote from: ez2cdave on October 06, 2018, 09:17:05 PMOver a year and still no replies ?
Not a popular model of Abu compared to the 6500 & 5500 there were issues with spool binding while fighting larger models of fish  because side plates flexed-I thought about buying one for Fraser River Sturgeon but was dissuaded by the negative experiences of others.

Robert Janssen

Like you said, there has been a long line of 10000 models. The two-speeds were produced from the mid 1960s until around 2000. Most of these were Swedish and included the C and CL and so on. It disappeared from the model lineup for a few years, and then came back as the foreign made single speed 10000, or maybe 10000i, now available in stores. The Ten was sort of a simplified version with bushings, part of a series with the Five, Six, Seven and Ten. Never heard of any reliability problems with any of them.

Edit for addendum:
I forgot to mention the gold colored single speed taiwanese Big Game versions, from around 2004 to maybe 20008 or so.

redsetta

There were a few conversations about Abu's history some years back, including this one - might be of some assistance:
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer