Thrust washers for Penn international 50sw

Started by Noahg727, August 21, 2017, 04:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahg727

Hey!
So I recently took my 50sw apart and changed the bellevile washers from ()() to (()). I saw a post on here where you added a thrust washer to a 30s. Was wondering where I could purchase a thrust washer. Also, would I need 2? And how should I orient them.

Thanks,
Noah

alantani

see how it works, first.  let us know if there is a problem. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Noahg727

It works well right now. It's way smoother than it was. Granted, I don't think the thing was opened up since cal saw it in 2000. (Previous owner) Well I guess I should ask this. What exactly would a thrust washer do? I was under the impression it would give it just a little higher drag capabilities.

Tiddlerbasher

To put it simply regular bearings are 'radial' bearings - they are designed to take a load that is perpendicular to the shaft. I.e. normal bearings. Thrust bearings are 'axial' bearings - they are designed to take a load along the axis of the shaft. There is an 'in-between' bearing called an angular contact bearing. It is primarily a radial bearing that can take more axial force than a regular bearing. I have played with the angular contact bearings -and boy are they hard to find in fishing reel sizes - also they are criminally expensive :(
I concluded that they (angular contact bearings) were not worth the effort. Similar benefits can be had by slightly backing off the drag ;)
I have yet to find a reel where you could retro-fit a thrust bearing if it wasn't originally designed to have one - usually there is just not enough space along the shaft. You could re-machine the inside of a reel to accommodate a thrust bearing - maybe.
All this only applies to lever drag reels - where a side/axial load is applied by virtue of the push or pull drag system. This is felt as a resistance to turning the handle - 'binding'.
It also means you are causing damage to the radial bearing(s)!
I have thought about using a thrust bearing under a star drag (if there is room) - it may make it easier to turn at very high drag settings :-\ But I haven't tried it yet.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Noahg727 on August 22, 2017, 03:00:23 AM
Well I guess I should ask this. What exactly would a thrust washer do? I was under the impression it would give it just a little higher drag capabilities.

A thrust washer is in essence just a shim that ensures the spacing is correct for the reel to function properly.  The shim typically ensures that the side load acts upon the inner race of the spool bearing, though sometimes they are on the other (pinion gear) side of the stack.  

As Alan says, test the reel and if you are happy with the function, drag curve and range, leave it and fish it.  If not, but a few shims (i.e. thrust washers), and some Belleville of various thickness, and play around with different configurations, and spacing until you get what you want.  Basically you can't get something for nothing.  You can use a heavier config and you will get a steeper drag curve, or a lighter (more springy) config and your drag curve will be more linear.  The overall stack height needs to remain within a given range when changing from stock in order for the reel to function properly though.  So there is only a certain amount of room to play with here on any given reel.  The Internationals allow for some leeway here.  Drag curve can also be adjusted by modifying the cam ramp, though this is a bit more of a process.  

There are several other posts on the board that get into modifying drag curve on these reels.  

Hope that helps?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

the "()()" configuration is a slower progression and a lower ultimate drag range.  the stiffer "(())" configuration gives you a much higher drag and a much steeper ramp to get there. small changes the preset knob or the lever give you big jumps in drag pressure. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Noahg727

Wow. Thanks guys, I have a lot to learn!

Noah

Tiddlerbasher

A thrust washer is usually part of a thrust bearing. A thrust washer on its own is really just a washer or spacer.