abu garcia 6600 bcx drag

Started by pkrainert, June 03, 2011, 07:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pkrainert

Hey all,

I just got a new "to me" reel, it's an abu garcia 6600 bcx. They guy I bought it from said it was new and it looks as if it is. But I can not get the drag to set very tight ( I can pull it by hand with about 2-3 lbs of force).

I read somewhere else that if you lube on the IAR bearing it will slip, but this if my first baitcaster and I have no idea what the IAR bearing is...

Do you think I should crack this puppy open and inspect the drag disks?

alantani

first guess is spectra slipping the spool.  otherwise, someone would have had to take it apart and then put it back together wrong.  can you check to see if the spectra moves while the spool does not?

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pkrainert

Thank you for the response! This is my first baitcaster, so I have no idea what part you are talking about... lol I will research that part on google and then test the reel and let you know.

Thanks!!

pkrainert

I am running braid right now (125 yards or so) Should I fill the back end of the spool with mono and tie to that?

Bryan Young

I would probably use electrical tape or flex wrap on the spool before the spectra  Many say that it is not needed, but I say it couldn't hurt to give the spectra something to lock on to.  I would go this route instead of the splice connection.  Additionally, the spectra will lay better if it's not going on mono.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ken_D

Quote from: pkrainert on June 06, 2011, 04:13:28 PM
I am running braid right now (125 yards or so) Should I fill the back end of the spool with mono and tie to that?

Hi. As Alan indicated above, most times, a direct connection of braid to spool, will result in the entire whack of line spinning around the arbor, mimicing no drag. To test, lock the spool by placing your thumb on the sidewall, and pull out the line, if all the line slips around the spool arbor, then the connection needs adjustment.  Old school was to wind on about 15 feet of mono, (as per Bryan's post) and tie the braid to that, but that takes time, and the unique mono-to-braid knots.

Current thinking is to tie braid to spool, then overlap with a layer of adhesive tape. Or: place tape on arbor, and tie line. Either way, the braid bites the tape, and won't slip.

On your original post: IAR = instant anti-reverse.  If the braid is secure, and you still have no drag, then the washers are contaminated with tramp oil/grease.