avet sx 2 speed rebuild

Started by walkernut, September 13, 2019, 02:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkernut

Can someone give me a link to rebuilding an avet sx 2 speed. I believe the pinion bearing on my reel is causing my problem.

AJ

Are you referring to the new SX G2 or do you mean a SX 2 speed Raptor or ???

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

walkernut

I got one of the first sx 2 speed reels that Avet produced many years ago. The video suggested doesn't cover replacing the pinion bearing which i understand can be very hard to remove.

walkernut

Just stripped it completely down and dropped it into boiling water and used a flat bladed screwdriver to try and remove the pinion bearing without success. Any other ideas before I send it to a pro.

xjchad

put it in the freezer for a couple hours.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

MarkT

I use a box nail with part of the head cut off held in vice grips to get inside and under it.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: walkernut on September 13, 2019, 11:06:00 PM
Just stripped it completely down and dropped it into boiling water and used a flat bladed screwdriver to try and remove the pinion bearing without success. Any other ideas before I send it to a pro.

dont laugh but this modified black steel screw have served me wonders with stubborn pinion bearings, actually last night I could took one out that I was about to give up, what worked out was lots of oil, some heat with a heat-gun and keep pulling with the head of the screw at the bottom of the bearing until take it out.

The Baja Guy

akfish

As a last resort, you can drill a hole from the outside under the cam and pop out the bearing. I hate to do that -- but Avet started cutting in a hole not long ago for just this purpose. Once you drill the hole, fill it with grease. The bearing and cam will seal it well enough.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mike1010

Put the side plate into a pot of boiling water for a few minutes, the take it out and hit the bearing with a cold blast from a can of compressed air.  It's worked for me, but watch out, because that bearing can go flying.

handi2

To get the pinion bearing out just remove the rest of the cam mechanism that shows after you take the  drag lever off. It lifts off very easy. All of the later model ones have 2 small holes so you can use a pin punch to push the bearing out.

If yours doesn't have the holes drill one.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

The holes would be a great idea, but do it as your last resort. The holes that come on the Avet plate are anodized.
Not sure if corrosion would start there, but personally I would not drill my plates.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

walkernut

Quote from: handi2 on September 14, 2019, 09:09:42 PM
To get the pinion bearing out just remove the rest of the cam mechanism that shows after you take the  drag lever off. It lifts off very easy. All of the later model ones have 2 small holes so you can use a pin punch to push the bearing out.

If yours doesn't have the holes drill one.

Keith

Earlier today after trying everything that was suggested except for drilling holes to no avail, I drilled two small opposing holes on the outer edge after removing the male cam. I used a hammer and nail alternating back and forth tapping on the outer race and within 10 minutes had it out. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  Gary