ARE YOU SUPERSTITIOUS?

Started by Dominick, August 24, 2017, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

I am not superstitious.  I don't believe the bane of bananas on the boat.  I don't believe in black cats, curses nor witchcraft.  Having said that I am not sure about Gary the Butt Man's red cooler.  We have all seen the butts that Gary catches.  Everyone jumps in on the post and talks about mojo.  Do you believe in mojo?  Do you have any superstitious leanings.  I would like the members to weigh in and tell us if they are superstitious and what the superstitions are.  Since my trip to Alaska to fish with the butt man I decided to create my own mojo cooler.  On the trip up to Alaska, the baggage handlers at Alaska Airlines broke the handle on my cooler.  While there Gary fixed the handle on one side of the cooler.  On the trip home the gorillas in the baggage room broke the other handle.  I emailed Gary and asked him if had a matching handle so that I could fix the other side.  He did and mailed me a handle and a piece of rope.  Gary's repair was the same as the red cooler with the mojo.  I put my cooler next to Gary's mojo cooler and left it there overnight hoping that some mojo might rub off.  I fixed the handle today an now have matching handles.  Here are a couple of photos.  Please weigh in on the question re: superstitions.  This could be fun even if you don't believe in superstition tell us some superstition that you heard about or ones that make you feel like "well you never know."  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

I always carry something of my Grandad's or Dad's with me fishing or hunting, I think more out of sentimentality and respect for what they taught me, but I think that probably qualifies as a talisman, certainly if it's Pop's favorite reel or fishing hat.

BTW, I have TWO of the vintage red Gary Igloo coolers....:) you'd think I'd catch more, but the only reason is there are no halibut in NC. It's my lie, I'll tell it how I want to.

Swami805

I'm not superstitious it's bad luck
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

I have a necklace made of a bone fishing hook I wear every time I go fishing that my son made me.
A Makau.
I also have a certain shirt I wear.
Just trying to create the same scenario the last time I hooked into a big one.
My 90 inch hammerhead came after sitting on the beach for several hours.
John had a young man with us fishing for Sharks for the first time.
John had him say a prayer.
It wasn't a minute later, John's 12/0 started singing. ;)
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Yeah, if I believed in superstition I'd also have to believe in all kinds of supernatural stuff that I also don't believe in just to be consistent. There's no such thing as mojo or luck, or ghosts, goblins, werewolves, vampires or the Easter bunny. We create all kinds of stuff to try to explain what we cannot, and as a species have been doing so for thousands of years. I cannot prove any of this does or does not exist, it's just what works for me - since you asked..... I do believe in statistics, though.... and statistically speaking, you will be faced with things in your life that you cannot explain, but believing in supernatural stuff isn't the explanation that's worked for me.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

MarkT

If having fun with a lucky cooler or lack of bananas on the boat makes you feel good then do it.  If you think it actually makes a difference, seek help. Either way, have fun!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

Yeah. It crosses my mind alla time, perhaps outta force of habit, or, a deep-seated need to believe in supernatural forces. As in:"yeah gotta take that knife again, 'cause a what I caught last time, when I had it with me". But I quickly dismiss it nowadays.
What'ed be interesting would be to study how superstitious belief might effect success or failure in a persons endeavors. Would having/or not having your "good luck charm" change methodology or behavior?
X2 what nelz said. One of the main reasons I believe in God.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

David Hall

I'm not superstitious, but If that cooler of yours sat next to the purple haze for two days, and Gary actually touched it!  I'd have to say it's got mojo working and should be designated as a full time bait cooler.  I might go so far as to take it to church and ask a padre to sprinkle some water and say a few words.  Let me know if you want to sell it!

oc1

I believe in the power of confidence and attentiveness when fishing.  If I'm not confident then I'm not attentive and if I'm not  attentive I don't  catch fish.  If superstitions and such give you confidence and attentiveness then there may be real world payoffs.
-steve

Tightlines667

Quote from: oc1 on August 25, 2017, 10:21:31 AM
I believe in the power of confidence and attentiveness when fishing.  If superstitions and such give you confidence and attentiveness then there may be real world payoffs.
-steve

Alotta truth to that there.  

I am not a superstitious guy, but for some reason when fishing some superstitions tend to creep in to my science.  
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Newell Nut

Did any of you guys see the video a couple weeks ago of the south Florida guys catching red snapper using chunks of banana for bait. Red snappers were loving it.

happyhooker

I like your thinking, thorhammer.  I miss my Dad terribly & think of him often when fishing.  I, too, get a little bit of a special feeling when I use something of his when out on the water.  I've got a companion even when I'm fishing alone.  Went out for a couple hours yesterday; took Dad's Mitchell 301C along, even though I'm not left-handed & have to cast with my right arm, then swap to left so I can reel with my right hand.  Didn't hurt that a few fish came my way.

By the way, being sorta new to the site, what is the "12-year rule" (or am I being the naive straightman on this?)  Is it somehow related to the 5-second rule?

David Hall

Basically it is our vow to never post anything that you wouldn't want your 12yr old daughter to read!  Keep it clean, keep it respectful, keep it family oriented.

Dominick

Quote from: David Hall on August 26, 2017, 02:51:39 AM
Basically it is our vow to never post anything that you wouldn't want your 12yr old daughter to read!  Keep it clean, keep it respectful, keep it family oriented.
Succinct and to the point.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.