Post 90 Seaboy 185 and 190

Started by Keta, August 25, 2017, 11:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I recently got my hands on 2 Seaboy 190's and 1 185 and was curious as to why they are not more common?  Longbeach 60 and 65 size, Jigmaster  drag stack and faster than the 2.5:1 60/65 at 3.1:1. 

These reels look like just what I feel is needed for mid-water (100'-250') rockfish and lingcod.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mo65

I've wondered this myself Lee...it's a faster stronger LB60...for less? Well...not less anymore. They've become a hit on fleabay. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Keta

So far I see a good reel when a higher speed reel can not provide the torque needed, over 4:1 is a PIA at times.  

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

Those reels were made for only few years, although MysticParts seems to indicate they are still in production. While they are more than adequate for some uses, they have absolutely no bling so customers weren't too impressed. They didn't even have metal rings on the side plates. And up here at least, people wanting a reel in that class always seem to want a level wind.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mizmo67

Quote from: akfish on August 27, 2017, 02:49:27 PM
Those reels were made for only few years, although MysticParts seems to indicate they are still in production. While they are more than adequate for some uses, they have absolutely no bling so customers weren't too impressed. They didn't even have metal rings on the side plates. And up here at least, people wanting a reel in that class always seem to want a level wind.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

I think that specs page wasn't update. I'll have to see if Scotty remembers when they phased out and fix it.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Decker

The Mystic spec page for the Seaboy lists the post 190 reels as having a 3.1:1 retrieve ratio, but in the paragraph below it mentions a 3.5:1 ratio, and also a stainless pinion in later models:  https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennSeaboy.aspx

185 and 190 Seaboy (1990s) - The next generation of the famous seaboy reels feature newly styled high strength side plates, a lightweight black anodized aluminum spool and a powerful 3.5:1 Gear ratio. Equipped with powerful gears, these USA-made reels are the reels to wind up with, whether you're drifting, chumming, working a wreck or bottom fishing. Great for fish like flounder, cod, sea bass, and even large catfish. The Penn Seaboy® was upgraded in 2004 for even better performance and durability. New features include a larger handle, machined-aluminum spool, stainless steel pinion, and improved free spool.(2004 Penn Catalog)

I "went" looking for these reels on the web and couldn't find much, but saw a Seaboy 190 with 3.1:1 ratio marked on the sideplate.

Is the higher 3.5:1 ratio related to the newer SS pinion, or?   Can the 3.1:1 reels be changed to the higher ratio?  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Ron Jones

I have seen boxes with both ratios. The new 190 with a SS 66 stand would be a fantastic work horse.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Decker

This is a mystery...  trying to find out about the 3.5:1 gear ratio.  I have had my hands on 6 of these reels, and counting spool revolutions to one handle crank comes out to just barely over three - looks like a 3.1:1 ratio.   Several of these reels are marked gear ratio 3.5:1, but by my primitive measurement always counts a 3.1:1 ratio.   Should take one apart to count the teeth.   I contacted Scotts and Tony at Penn, and haven't found an answer about the higher ratio yet.  Has someone been through this exercise already? ::)

Keta

Quote from: Decker on February 21, 2018, 09:21:19 PM
  Should take one apart to count the teeth.  

Measure the gears when you do.... :D.    I have 2 190's and 1 185 now and I can take them apart and see too.  I was only going to do 1 for the gear size spread sheet but I can count the teeth on all 3.  I decided to list the reels the gears are in too.

Mark Twain

oc1

Reel makers have always lied about their gear rations.  Just divide the number of main gear teeth by the number of pinion teeth to get the correct number.
-steve

Decker

Quote from: Keta on February 21, 2018, 10:43:28 PM
Measure the gears when you do.... :D.    

Lee, I will do that, but don't have a micrometer.  I'll use a carpenters tape measure, measure to the nearest 1/32 inch, if that will suffice :)

Keta

A caliper will be needed.  Penn tolerances are hard enough to deal with.

Mark Twain

mo65

Does anyone know if the 190's spool will drop into a LB65? The 190 takes LB65 posts and stand, but Scott's lists the 190 spool as only fitting the 190.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on March 05, 2018, 06:26:25 PM
  Does anyone know if the 190's spool will drop into a LB65? The 190 takes LB65 posts and stand, but Scott's lists the 190 spool as only fitting the 190.

Does the 65 spool have the same diameter as the 60?   If yes, then I think your answer is "yes,"  Mo.    I think a SB190 spool will drop into an extra-wide LB60 ;D

Can't resist a franken-reel puzzler, ::) but someone else probably has a better answer.

Here is another post that dances around the subject:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15205.0

Bryan Young

Hi Lee,

Which Jigmaster bars in 500, 99 or 501 width?  Please let me know.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D