Post 90 Seaboy 185 and 190

Started by Keta, August 25, 2017, 11:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Carl L

Question was lb65 vs 190 spool ... I do'nt think that is anyway possible.. long beach 65 has green string, 190 has black..

Keta

Quote from: Carl L on March 06, 2018, 01:13:52 AM
Question was lb65 vs 190 spool ... I do'nt think that is anyway possible.. long beach 65 has green string, 190 has black..

The 190 in the photo is a pre 1990, we are talking post 1990 Seaboy 190.  The pre 1990 Seaboy 190 uses the smaller diameter 29-100 spool, the Post 1990 Seaboy 190 uses a 29-190 spool that is close to if not the same diameter as a 29-65 spool.  I have a 29M-65 spool and a 29L-190 spool, I'll compare them and see what's different.

What I need is a 29L-85 to convert a 190 to a 185.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Carl L

I was wondering about that, as Mystic Reel Parts specs were not definative.. thanks for the comment..

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Keta

Mark Twain

basto

YES, The 190 alloy spool certainly does fit a 65 long beach. I have one on mine because I thought the stainless spool was too heavy. When I had my 190, I put a 30-66 stand on it and all was fine, but when I put the 30-66 stand on my 65 lb, the spool rubbed on the stand, but a couple minutes with a small file on the stand would fix that.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Decker

Quote from: Keta on March 06, 2018, 03:15:24 AM

Lee, I had the same idea, and intend to use a stainless LB60 spool for the purpose.   

Also, I believe the bars from a Mag 970 will fit the Seaboy 185 as another part of that conversion.   It would be a sacrifice to the 970, but I'm optimistically waiting for a 970 frame to be produced.   ;D

thorhammer

501 /506 bars should work; don't sacrifice a 970! :)

Keta

I don't remember but I think I tried 501 posts in the 185 and they did not work, I'll them again.  

Quote from: Decker on March 06, 2018, 01:06:38 PM
Quote from: Keta on March 06, 2018, 03:15:24 AM

Lee, I had the same idea, and intend to use a stainless LB60 spool for the purpose.  

Also, I believe the bars from a Mag 970 will fit the Seaboy 185 as another part of that conversion.   It would be a sacrifice to the 970, but I'm optimistically waiting for a 970 frame to be produced.   ;D

I'm planning on trying to cut down frame bars to put on my 185 to replace the frame posts.  Ted (Maxed) gave me a early Long Beach 60 stand that fit the 185 and I put a SS 30-65 stand on one of the 190's.  I plan on putting Brian's 112H/500 drag kits in the reels and should easily get the 15# of drag I want. Hopefully the reel will be up to that much drag, and inshore Pacific halibut.

Mark Twain

thorhammer

I didnt try it but am making an assumption because 500 posts fit the 990. Different plate dimension so it may not work.

Keta

The post 1990 Seaboy 180 frame posts are 1.78", the Jigmaster 501's ones are 1.63".

Mark Twain

Decker

Quote from: Keta on March 06, 2018, 03:41:01 PM
The post 1990 Seaboy 180 frame posts are 1.78", the Jigmaster 501's ones are 1.63".

Yup.   Those 970 bars have a lot of places to go (Seaboy 185, and Sailfisher 130) BUT ONLY after the Black Pearl 970 frame becomes available  ;D

Lee, I know you are a machine-wiz...  Hope you can figure out how to make the bars from something else.

Alto Mare

Here is one reel that could really use  upgrades on chromed parts. I've never seen a reel that deteriorates as fast as the Seaboy does, but not the earlier ones, those are just as tough as the rest of the Penn reels.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 06, 2018, 04:36:06 PM
Here is one reel that could really use  upgrades on chromed parts. I've never seen a reel that deteriorates as fast as the Seaboy does, but not the earlier ones, those are just as tough as the rest of the Penn reels.

Sal

Yes, the graphite Seaboys in my possession have a lot of corrosion on the outer metal parts.  I bought them as a lot, and assumed it was because they were party boat reels that spent a lot of time on deck, or were otherwise neglected.  Sal, are you suggesting that the heavy corrosion because of the quality of the parts, or?

Stainless posts, bars, seats, and handles (and anything else) would look good on them.  

If I squeeze the plates together at the top of the reel, there is visible flex in the graphite.   Not sure how that compares with fishing conditions, but maybe adding a post at the top would be worthwhile.  

Alto Mare

Quote from: Decker on March 06, 2018, 05:10:58 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on March 06, 2018, 04:36:06 PM
Here is one reel that could really use  upgrades on chromed parts. I've never seen a reel that deteriorates as fast as the Seaboy does, but not the earlier ones, those are just as tough as the rest of the Penn reels.

Sal

Yes, the graphite Seaboys in my possession have a lot of corrosion on the outer metal parts.  I bought them as a lot, and assumed it was because they were party boat reels that spent a lot of time on deck, or were otherwise neglected.  Sal, are you suggesting that the heavy corrosion because of the quality of the parts, or?

The quality of the parts Joe. I guess keeping an eye on them might help. I personally didn't like the way they were reacting in such a short time, so I decided to get rid of all 4 I had. This was approximately 10 years ago.
Of course this is just my personal opinion.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.