Post 90 Seaboy 185 and 190

Started by Keta, August 25, 2017, 11:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 06, 2018, 09:35:30 PM

The quality of the parts Joe. I guess keeping an eye on them might help. I personally didn't like the way they were reacting in such a short time, so I decided to get rid of all 4 I had. This was approximately 10 years ago.

Hmm, sounds like motivation for a Longbeach/Seaboy franken-reel  ;)

mhc

Quote from: Decker on March 06, 2018, 09:56:46 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on March 06, 2018, 09:35:30 PM

The quality of the parts Joe. I guess keeping an eye on them might help. I personally didn't like the way they were reacting in such a short time, so I decided to get rid of all 4 I had. This was approximately 10 years ago.

Hmm, sounds like motivation for a Longbeach/Seaboy franken-reel  ;)

Something like this LB 60 frame I made a while back using 506 parts and 2mm thick spacer rings;

I'll probably use Alan c's squidder bars when I narrow my 190 to 185 width.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Decker

Once again, Mike knocks it out of the park! ;D :o 8)

mo65

I see some of you are narrowing your 190s to 185s...does anyone want to sell their 190 spool?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on March 07, 2018, 04:31:20 PM
   I see some of you are narrowing your 190s to 185s...does anyone want to sell their 190 spool?

I'll get in touch with you, Mo.  Hope you're not in a hurry.  /Joe

mo65

Quote from: Decker on March 07, 2018, 05:03:07 PM

No hurry at all Joe. I need an aluminum spool in the LB65 size for a project I'm going to undertake, and surprisingly, this size spool in aluminum is not an easy find. There are a few old Newells out there but that seems to be about it. 8)

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on March 07, 2018, 05:14:41 PM

No hurry at all Joe. I need an aluminum spool in the LB65 size for a project I'm going to undertake, and surprisingly, this size spool in aluminum is not an easy find. There are a few old Newells out there but that seems to be about it. 8)

Since you're not in a hurry, I went and looked for it right away ;D  The aluminum spool I pulled from the 190 has "112H-1" stamped on the side.  Thought it looked familiar.  Must be a 112H spool with a shorter shaft.  I'll PM you, Mo.

Ron Jones

The 112 uses the 66 base, same size as the 190. The Chinese 190 spool is a 112H spool that fits a different pinion and is not set up for bearings. The LB65 is a slow, small dragged 112H.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mhc

Quote from: Decker on March 07, 2018, 09:15:02 PM
Quote from: mo65 on March 07, 2018, 05:14:41 PM

Since you're not in a hurry, I went and looked for it right away ;D  The aluminum spool I pulled from the 190 has "112H-1" stamped on the side.  Thought it looked familiar.  Must be a 112H spool with a shorter shaft.  I'll PM you, Mo.

Sounds like Joe has got you covered Mo - if you need two I'll have a spare 190 spool I could send you when I narrow my 190.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Decker

Am I making a valid inference from what Sal and Ron have said?  These post-1990 Seaboy reels are "made in USA" but some of the parts are made in China?  That would explain a perceived difference in metal quality, and also the lack of information on these reels.  Maybe these Seaboys are "black sheep" from a period where manufacturing was starting to transition overseas.  

I don't want to prejudice Chinese-made Penns, because a lot of guys say that the current reel are of good quality.  Besides, I'm a dragon ;)

I got a bunch of Seaboys cheap and they will make great upgrade projects!  Dilly dilly!

Keta

One of my 190's and the 185 have SS bridge plates stands.  The only possible weak parts I see would be the "plastic" side plates and standard Penn posts.  Two of mine have SS gear sleeves and AR dogs, a 15-99 dog works.  I will know more once I hook and hopefully land a nice Pacific halibut with it and see how strong/weak this reel is.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I could be wrong, but I thought all the post 1990 190s were made in China during the "bad" years.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Decker

Quote from: Ron Jones on March 08, 2018, 03:31:01 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought all the post 1990 190s were made in China during the "bad" years.
Ron

Ron, this one clearly says made in USA, but what you are saying about China-made parts makes sense.  Can you give more details about the "bad years"?   I'd be interested to know, if only for historical knowledge.

Decker

Quote from: Keta on March 08, 2018, 03:27:35 PM
I will know more once I hook and hopefully land a nice Pacific halibut with it and see how strong/weak this reel is.

When the reel survives that ordeal, it will certainly quiet any controversy!

mo65

Quote from: Keta on March 08, 2018, 03:27:35 PM
  The only possible weak parts I see would be the "plastic" side plates and standard Penn posts. 

I don't have one of these reels to verify this...but the parts photo from Scott's shows a brass pinion. I'd have to think that would be your weak link if you were going to test the reel's strength.