Post 90 Seaboy 185 and 190

Started by Keta, August 25, 2017, 11:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

The 190 I have in my hand does not say Made in USA on it, I will check the other 2 post 1900 Seaboys.

All 3 of my post 1990 Seaboy reels have SS Pinion and brass main gears Mo.  I could strip the main gear but my target drag is only 15# and will put it on a 30# rod. 15# is more than doable with Bryan's 112H/500 drag kits.  If Pac butts are too tough they will make a good deep/mid water lingcod/rockcod reel.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mhc

I've got one 190 marked 3.1:1 that does not have made in USA and another 190 marked 3.5:1 that does have made in USA on the tail plate like the one Joe is showing. I haven't looked at the pinions yet.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Keta

My 185 is marked like the one above, a SS pinion and brass gear.  The Bridge plate is brass.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

The 13-85 pinion is pretty thick. With that said, I personally don't like this reel, but I'm not saying you shouldn't either :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Keta on March 08, 2018, 08:45:12 PM
All 3 of my post 1990 Seaboy reels have SS Pinion and brass main gears Mo.  I could strip the main gear but my target drag is only 15# and will put it on a 30# rod.

That's good news Lee. I'd say you'll be a lot less likely to run into trouble with the ss pinion...especially staying under 15 pounds max.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

Hey guys...how does that #13-185 pinion compare in size to the #13-85 pinion?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 08, 2018, 11:31:04 PM
I personally don't like this reel, but I'm not saying you shouldn't either :)

They are sort of ugly and must not have sold well.  

I was trying to find a 29L spool for a Longbeach 60 project (actually a 65N because I had a nice set of older 65 sideplates I used) for a specific use when I got side tracked by these.  I like the lower gear ratio with a jigmaster drag stack and if the frame can hold up to 15# of drag it should work for my needs, 30-60 pound Pacific halibut less than 300' deep.  With the stock drag set I can get 11# of drag now.

Mark Twain

Decker

Quote from: Keta on March 09, 2018, 02:29:22 PM
I was trying to find a 29L spool for a Longbeach 60 project

Lee, isn't this what I PMed you about?   Maybe I'm confused, but I thought the LB60 spool was the same as the SB185.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/29L-85.aspx
Do you need two then?  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Keta

One will make me happy, thank you.

Mark Twain

Decker

Bought a Seaboy lot for a very low price recently, spurred on by the interest I saw here, and have five now.  Last night I started to disassemble them.
•Two did not say "made in USA."
•Two came with non-metal bait clickers (not the same two as above).
•Four are 190's, one is a 185.

I haven't taken any bridges apart yet, but all look like brass, with brass pinions.  I think some have a steel bridge pin, and maybe a steel main.  I'm going to need to find a couple of stainless pinions.

Also in the pic is a Long Beach 60; very comparable to the 185 next to it.

Keta

They use a 13-155 pinion gear, Scott's does not have them but they come up on eBay.  The 5-165 main gear is not as common.  Keep some of the reels for parts.

Mark Twain

mhc

Quote from: Decker on March 12, 2018, 12:49:16 PM
Bought a Seaboy lot for a very low price recently, spurred on by the interest I saw here, .......

I picked up the smaller lot with 4 reels from the same seller Joe, I haven't opened them yet except pulling the tail plate off of one to start making the spacer rings for my 190 to 185 conversion.
The one I have taken the plate off of has all brass internals - I'm hoping to open the others (plus another 190 I had bought in Aus) soon and take a few photos, count the teeth on the main and pinion gears of the 3.5:1 and 3.1:1 branded models, etc. I'll dig up a 13-85 pinion as well to answer Mo's question about the pinion sizes.

Lee, the seaboys Joe picked up are post 190 with the 5-185 main and 13-185 pinions, but it's still a good suggestion to keep a few for parts though the post 90 gears are on Scott's 'endangered' list - not as bad as the extinct pre 1990 gears 5-165 and 13-155 yet, but they will be when Scott's run out.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Keta

Quote from: mhc on March 13, 2018, 12:43:15 PM
Lee, the seaboys Joe picked up are post 190 with the 5-185 main and 13-185 pinions, but it's still a good suggestion to keep a few for parts though the post 90 gears are on Scott's 'endangered' list - not as bad as the extinct pre 1990 gears 5-165 and 13-155 yet, but they will be when Scott's run out.

Mike

Damn, CRS sucks.

Mark Twain

Decker

Mike and Lee interested in hotrodding the the same reel....  Hmmmm.  Mike invents reel frame prototypes, and Lee cuts stainless steel parts...  What could come of this?    ;D ::) :o

"CRS" - Catholic Relief Services - no - found the intended meaning in the onlline "Urban Dictionary"  8)  I think Penn's whole intention with this 1990 Seaboy series was to throw up a smokescreen of confusion -- China/USA, gear ratios, different parts.  We'll get through it. :P

Keta

15-99 dogs work in my 185 and I used the last 2 SS ones I had on mine.

Mark Twain