Post 90 Seaboy 185 and 190

Started by Keta, August 25, 2017, 11:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

There are a few digital tracing systems that create a .dxf file from tracing an object with an electronic 'pen' or stylus gadget - they seem a bit expensive for making 2D reel parts (around $1200 for the smallest 12'' x 12" pad) unless you had a commercial use for one.

I don't know anything about them or if they would be suitable - this is a link to one I found surfing the net - http://www.logicgroup.com/LogicTraceCncDxf.html

Lee, I'm guessing if your cutter had something similar (that he was willing to share) you would have made use of it by now.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Keta

Unfortunately Mat does not have that technology. 

I figured out a way to get the hole spacing by drawing a circle the diameter of the screw holes, splitting it vertically, measuring the stand screw spacing and dividing it in half then once I had the stand screws I measured between a stand screw hole and the first post screw hole and drawing circles centered on the stand screw hole and repeated it for the rest of the screw holes.  I printed the drawing off and they match the holes.  The top post screw holes are below the centerline of the side plate, on a Jigmaster they are in line with the center.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

Now I will have to take the Pro Challenger SS gear I have in a Jigmaster 501 and check if it works on my 190/185 project.  If it does fit it should exceed my drag goal.  

Ted (Max) gave me a old and stronger LB 60 stand for the 185 and I put a SS 30-66 stand on the 190 so the stands are stronger than stock.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mhc

The LB 60 top post screw hole are above the side plate centerline as well. There's also a third design option to fit the 2/0 which is the same width and diameter with a different screw pattern. The 2/0 stands are getting hard to find and this would help anyone wanting to narrow a black 3/0 but doesn't have a 2/0 stand. Maybe you could have short spacers just for the stand cut from the material inside the half round spacers?

Quote from: Keta on March 20, 2018, 03:22:40 PM
Now I will have to take the Pro Challenger SS gear I have in a Jigmaster 501 and check if it works on my 190/185 project.  If it does fit it should exceed my drag goal.  

It will be interesting to see how the Pro Challenger gen2 4:1 main meshes with the 13-185 pinion. 

Mike

Keta

The gear I had was slightly too big to get into the side plate and the teeth did not match with the 13-185, it must be a "high speed" gear set.  When I get back to town I will dig out a steel 5-500 and try it but one good thing was I found one of Bryan's 112H/500 drag kits in the Pro Challenger main gear and I put it in the 190.  

Quote from: mhc on March 21, 2018, 11:58:07 AM
Maybe you could have short spacers just for the stand cut from the material inside the half round spacers?

The short metal plate between the stand and the side plate of 185 and 190 reels (item 18 on the schematic) could be replaced with a thicker one and a 30-49 stand could be used in a 185, it would be easy to draw up and have cut.  The early Long Beach 30-60 stand I was given was a drop in and the 190 was easy, a 30-66 fits it and SS ones are still available.

http://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/185seaboy.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Mark Twain

Keta

I tried stock Penn 5-500 and another Pro Challenger 500 gear in my 190 and they were noisy and rough, I will put the 5-185 back in.

Mark Twain

Decker

Quote from: Keta on March 23, 2018, 11:39:52 AM
I tried stock Penn 5-500 and another Pro Challenger 500 gear in my 190 and they were noisy and rough, I will put the 5-185 back in.

Darn, that looked promising, but seemed to good to be true also  :-[

Keta

I plan on ordering a 13-180 pinion gear for this reel and see if it's the pinion causing the noise, the reel is a bit noisy with the stock 5-185 main gear.  I would really like to use the Pro Challenger gear in this reel.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Will the 500 pinion fit the 185 spool? Maybe we can do a whole gear swap.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mhc

Quote from: Keta on March 23, 2018, 05:30:39 PM
I plan on ordering a 13-180 pinion gear for this reel and see if it's the pinion causing the noise, the reel is a bit noisy with the stock 5-185 main gear.  I would really like to use the Pro Challenger gear in this reel.

I had a look at the Pro Challenger 2nd Gen 4.0:1 gear I've got in a jigmaster - it is 0.5 mm larger dia but the cut of the teeth looks to be a match;

PC gear on top;

Showing the slightly larger dia (0.5 mm)

The PC main fit into a 190 with a steel pinion. (The PC gears look a brownish color from the heat treating he does)

It sounded a bit noisy, but no more than any new stainless set. I gave it a mild stress test of vertically winching a 4 lb bottle of water a few times and it felt smooth (ish) again it had a slight 'geary' feeling that any new stainless gears can have. I'll put this gear back into the JM and will dig up a steel 5-500 and check that in the seaboy.

The 13-185 pinions Scott's have listed show a brass gear in the photo - you might want to check that before ordering if you want a steel pinion.

Quote from: Ron Jones on March 23, 2018, 08:17:11 PM
Will the 500 pinion fit the 185 spool? Maybe we can do a whole gear swap.
Ron

The 13-500 pinion has smaller inside and outside diameters Ron and won't fit the spool or engage with the main.

Mike

mhc

I think you could be right about trying a different pinion Lee. I found a steel penn 5-500 this morning and it seems fairly smooth in my 190, like the PC gear was. Maybe not as quiet and smooth as the original gear but I think it will settle in with a bit of use.

I had a quick look on ebay but didn't see any steel 5-185 pinions.

Mike

Decker

Not to distract f what Mike and Lee are accomplishing here...  I was wondering if there are any special techniques for breaking in a set of gears to make them fit together more smoothly.

mo65

Quote from: Decker on March 25, 2018, 05:18:30 PM
Not to distract f what Mike and Lee are accomplishing here...  I was wondering if there are any special techniques for breaking in a set of gears to make them fit together more smoothly.

That's a touchy subject Joe, some guys say running valve lapping compound or similar mild abrasives thought the gears will smooth 'em right out, while others say such activity is a fast way to destroy your gears.  :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Has anyone built a super wide seaboy yet ??

Jigmaster 500 seat and posts, and a 3/0 spool will double the line capacity. The seaboy seems to be very capable, and would be more versatile with more capacity

Sent from my android, Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mhc