Post 90 Seaboy 185 and 190

Started by Keta, August 25, 2017, 11:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Hey Ted.

Mo and Joe, if the gears are grinding and not smooth don't you think they are literally grinding off the rough spots with every turn?  After modifying a reel they often seem to have break-in period and get a little better with use.
-steve

Decker

Quote from: Decker on March 25, 2018, 05:18:30 PM
  I was wondering if there are any special techniques for breaking in a set of gears to make them fit together more smoothly.
Quote from: mo65 on March 25, 2018, 05:40:42 PM
   That's a touchy subject Joe, some guys say running valve lapping compound or similar mild abrasives thought the gears will smooth 'em right out, while others say such activity is a fast way to destroy your gears.  :-\

Quote from: oc1 on March 26, 2018, 07:13:16 AM
Mo and Joe, if the gears are grinding and not smooth don't you think they are literally grinding off the rough spots with every turn?  After modifying a reel they often seem to have break-in period and get a little better with use.
-steve
I found a couple of threads:
Back to Lee and Mike...

Keta

I would recommend against "pre wearing" gears, especially when the gears are different materials.  Lapping compound "wears" out the leading edge of the drive gear and the following edge of the driven gear and can destroy the gear fit.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mo65

After modifying a reel they often seem to have break-in period and get a little better with use.
-steve

I read around here somewhere the cause of that too...something about the main and pinion positioning being changed...they recommended marking the gears and realigning those marks. Personally, I've never reassembled anything with stock gears and had it get worse. I've changed gears and been disappointed. My first Jigmaster build got a shiny new ss gear, that thing was a noisy mess. Took several nights of handle turning while watching the tube to smooth it out...I still can't believe folks are so eager to use stuff like that in their reels. But you hear it all the time..."Oh, it's a little rough, but it's strong"... :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

Thank you very much for the links Joe. I learned two things
1) Compression blue = Prussian blue has got to be better than a sharpie pen.
2) "Touchy subject" is putting it mildly and we should hope that nobody wades into this again  :)
-steve

basto

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 25, 2018, 07:10:17 PM

Has anyone built a super wide seaboy yet ??

Jigmaster 500 seat and posts, and a 3/0 spool will double the line capacity. The seaboy seems to be very capable, and would be more versatile with more capacity

Sent from my android, Ted

Would a 112h be close?
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Keta

I think the spool shafts are different but I will check. 

Ted is donating a 3/0 spool and SS 30-200 reel seat (the Jigmaster 500 uses this seat) and I will see how this works.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Decker

Steve, you could probably run a handful of peppercorns through the gears without doing damage ;)

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on March 26, 2018, 04:50:08 PM
After modifying a reel they often seem to have break-in period and get a little better with use.
-steve

I read around here somewhere the cause of that too...something about the main and pinion positioning being changed...they recommended marking the gears and realigning those marks. Personally, I've never reassembled anything with stock gears and had it get worse. I've changed gears and been disappointed. My first Jigmaster build got a shiny new ss gear, that thing was a noisy mess. Took several nights of handle turning while watching the tube to smooth it out...I still can't believe folks are so eager to use stuff like that in their reels. But you hear it all the time..."Oh, it's a little rough, but it's strong"... :-\
When the Tank came back from a fishing expedition in Alaska, it felt much smoother and quieter than when it left. A couple of good size fish would iron out the new gears.
If you're after quiet, I hear the library is pretty quiet, that would be a better place to hang😁

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Quote from: basto on March 26, 2018, 11:14:26 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on March 25, 2018, 07:10:17 PM

Has anyone built a super wide seaboy yet ??

Jigmaster 500 seat and posts, and a 3/0 spool will double the line capacity. The seaboy seems to be very capable, and would be more versatile with more capacity

Sent from my android, Ted

Would a 112h be close?

The 112H spool is close Greg, it's the correct diameter and width for a 'Ted's super-wide Seaboy' but like Lee said the spool shaft is a different diameter - the 112H uses a 13-500 pinion with smaller OD and ID than the 13-185. Even if you changed the pinion and the spool the pinion wouldn't engage fully with the main, unless the gear sleeve was moved closer to the pinion.

Mike

PS; I just read your question again Greg, if you are asking if a complete 112H reel would be close to a TSWS  :) the answer is yes sort of, same width and spool capacity spool diameter, with 4.0:1 gear ratio compared to 3.1:1 for the seaboy.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Keta

The handle side spool shaft on a 112H is also longer.

A 190W would have the same line capacity as a 112H but a lower 3.1:1 (or 3.?:1) gear ratio, the 3/0 has a 2.25:1 gear ratio and a much smaller drag stack, the same as a Long Beach 60.   A 190W would have a 112H/500 drag stack, 112H-3/0 line capacity and a low gear ratio then the 112H, but higher than the 3/0.  The LB 65 has slightly less line capacity but a slower 2.5:1 gear ratio and the same small drag stack as the 3/0.

If the frame and gears hold up these will work for the job I plan on using them for (30-100 pound Pacific halibut in relatively shallow water) but a 190W will never replace the 349/349H for deep water Pacific halibut.... a 114HNN might.

Mark Twain

Decker

This is a spool marked "112H-1" that I pulled off a post-'90 Seaboy 190.  I guess it is the same as a 112H spool with a different shaft (for ball bearings).  if you want to go wide, maybe you need one of the wider Long Beach spools.

mhc

Quote from: Decker on March 27, 2018, 12:32:35 PM
This is a spool marked "112H-1" that I pulled off a post-'90 Seaboy 190.  I guess it is the same as a 112H spool with a different shaft (for ball bearings).  if you want to go wide, maybe you need one of the wider Long Beach spools.

Good pick up Joe - I stand corrected, the 112H is the same width as the 190 & 99, LB 66 etc and uses the 30-66 stand. The black 112 that Ted is talking about is JM 500 or LB 67 width and will suit a wider 190.

Lee, my trial fit with the PC gears and the steel 500 main were run with dry gears, I greased the 5-500 when I put the reel together and it is noticeably quieter - not sure if I would get away with using it in a library though.  ;D ;D 

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Keta

I did mine dry too, these reels will be apart a few more times before I get to use them and I'll lube them later.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

A 3/0 width 190 would be a slow Tuna Special. I might have to try that.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"