Post 90 Seaboy 185 and 190

Started by Keta, August 25, 2017, 11:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Quote from: Ron Jones on March 27, 2018, 08:03:54 PM
A 3/0 width 190 would be a slow Tuna Special. I might have to try that.
Ron

Or a "Tuna Boy"? :D

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 25, 2018, 07:10:17 PM
Has anyone built a super wide seaboy yet ??

I don't know about the Seaboy but some guy widened a Delmar once! I've been searching for this reel...knew I had seen it here somewhere. Cool reel Ted! 8)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17208.msg180569#msg180569
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Keta

It's a bad time for me to look for parts, I'm moving out of my shop after close to 20 years, but I managed to find a Newell 500 stand for a Seaboy wide in one of my parts boxes.  It was on a nice maroon 500 that I will use for a 501 conversion, I found a used 29L-501 when searching for the reel stand.  I put the 190W together without a spool and for a "wide" reel it fits my hand well. 

Are there any Newell crossbars that will fit the 190/185 hole pattern?

Tuna Boy....hummmmm, well I'm going to try to use it for halibut and I am not going there.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mhc

Quote from: Keta on March 28, 2018, 05:09:49 PM
Are there any Newell crossbars that will fit the 190/185 hole pattern?

Not that I know of, the only newell bars I have seen have the hole spacing that match jigmasters, squidders, 112H or 113H - none of those match the hole spacing pattern of the seaboys.

Mike 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mo65

Even the blind hog gets an acorn now and then. I staggered onto a Seaboy 190 for 15 bucks...shipped! It was advertised as "parts or repair" but everything was in place. It was wearing dirt and corrosion, but most of it looked like it would wash off. The drags looked new...stainless metals...the only setback was that brass pinion. If I'd gotten the ss pinion I'd prolly hotrod this thing, but looking at that tiny brass pinion, I believe I'll leave her stock. The only modifications I did were shimming the gear sleeve 12 thousandths and grinding the eccentric spring flush with the eccentric. That spring has been digging into the jack for years, as can be seen in the third pic. The yellow arrow points to the spring tip, and the red arrow indicates the damage. These mods won't make my reel any stronger or faster, but they sure make it feel better in hand. 8)

Decker

Nice one, Mo! How do you intent to fish it?

I bought a lot of about 185's and 190's for cheap. Haven't rehabbed a single one yet.  The 185 is basically a faster Longbeach 60, and the 190 is similar to the 112.  Looks like it could be a wreck-fishing workhorse.  Some stainless and some sub-standard corroded metals on mine.  These reels come from a transition period to offshore manufacturing. I'm not sure what pinions I have.  How would you hot-rod it?

mo65

Quote from: Decker on May 11, 2019, 02:36:11 AM
How would you hot-rod it?

I'd go with a ss gear sleeve, a 5-stack drag, double AR dogs, and the ss #30-66 stand. That 66 stand in stainless has to be rock solid, just what the doctor ordered to stop flex, and flex would shred these brass gears fast. I started to change my reel to an older chromed brass #30-66 stand, then realized the ss #30-65 it was already sporting is likely stronger than that old brass stand. 8)

Decker

Mo, I checked my box of seaboy bones and found a sideplate with the ss pinion.   Don't know about the condition; the corrosion on this lot is ugly but I think it is salvageable.  Coming your way... ;)

P.S. I wonder how many of the innards of these reels could be swapped from earlier reels.  That ss 30-66 is a gem, and fits on half a dozen other reels.

RowdyW

Quote from: mo65 on March 05, 2018, 06:26:25 PM
  Does anyone know if the 190's spool will drop into a LB65? The 190 takes LB65 posts and stand, but Scott's lists the 190 spool as only fitting the 190.
Mo the 190 spool drops right into a LB 65. It's the only way to get an aluminum spool for a LB 65. 60 & 65 plates are the same except for the model markings.The spools are usually marked 112 on the ends but they don't fit a 112 or 112h. I had a line on them a couple of years ago (used) but there weren't many takers here on the forum.      Rudy

mo65

Quote from: Decker on May 14, 2019, 06:46:58 PM
Mo, I checked my box of seaboy bones and found a sideplate with the ss pinion.   Don't know about the condition; the corrosion on this lot is ugly but I think it is salvageable.  Coming your way... ;)

Much thanks Joe! I've only seen one listed for sale and the pic was so poor I can't tell if it's steel or bronze.

Donnyboat

Hi Mo, Mike, good point about the eccentric spring protruding right through, I see it with some of the senators as well, I have been grinding them down as well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mo65

I have an interesting tidbit of news here concerning the question of gear ratio in these reels. In previous research, it was determined that all the post '90 Seaboys had 3.1:1 ratios regardless of using either brass or steel pinions. Mike even posted pics of the pinions both having 15 teeth. To my surprise...when I pulled my brass pinion to install the steel pinion Joe sent me...I noticed these pinions looked very different. I counted the teeth on my brass pinion and it had one more tooth, 16 total! Knowing that difference would also change the main gear, I pulled it for a tooth count, it had 56 total! A little simple division tells us this is a true 3.5:1 gear ratio. So it looks like there really were 3 to 1 and 3.5 to 1 Seaboys. I'd say parts spillover explains why Mike's reel marked 3.5:1 actually had 3.1:1 gears. It's probably a roll of the dice as to what any one reel actually has. 8)

Decker

Great discovery, Mo! I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for those stainless pinions.

mhc

Good pick-up Mo, the plot thickens! My 3.5:1 reels were in a lot of 4 or 5 parts reels on ebay, same seller had a few lots of seaboy reels at the same time (I think Joe might have bought one of the lots) - Maybe he had them repaired at some stage and ended up with 3.1:1 gear sets for whatever reason.  ???
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Decker

Quote from: mhc on May 29, 2019, 12:15:29 AM
My 3.5:1 reels were in a lot of 4 or 5 parts reels on ebay, same seller had a few lots of seaboy reels at the same time (I think Joe might have bought one of the lots)

Think you're right, Mike.  I recall they came from South Jersey, maybe Cape May.  I got a mess of about four of them for about $18 shipped.  Messiest lot of reels I've ever seen  :P

So the main and the pinion are different.  The color of the main is kind of strange.  Chinese alloy?   Reddish color -- cadmium?  Wear gloves, Mo, who knows...