OCEAN CITY and Other OLD REELS ...

Started by ez2cdave, February 10, 2015, 12:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ourford

Thanks Fred. The knob isn't wood. Not sure what kind of pre plastic it is but it looks fragile. I just need to find a few missing screws and it will be set.
Vic

broadway

That German silver sure looks Purdy after a good cleaning. Well done sir!
Unique handle/drag.
Nice find and restoration.
Best,
Dom

ourford

Thanks Dom. I'm starting to like tinkering with reels older than me.
Vic

sabaman1

JIM

ourford

Thanks Jim. I did a little research and found that the handle is a Rabbeth Governor drag handle. I couldn't put the darn thing down till I finished cleaning it. I'm impressed with the freespool. 25 seconds with marine grease and no fiddling. I have to find a few missing screws to finish.
Vic

Gfish

Nice job ourford! But it's worrying me a bit. I have one of these and I don't think I can come close to cleaning that G. Silver like you have. What did you use?
Also, what is the model name and number? Would it be "governor"?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

ourford

The reel model is Ocean City. This is a Moskowitz and Herbach reel before Ocean City Reel Co. It doesn't even have a yardage number. The handle is an aftermarket item. It's a Governor by Rabbeth.  I completely disassembled the reel. I used Brasso on the crusty layer and then Simichrome to finish. The frame is tedious, the flat plate not so much. On the spool and the posts, I slid a piece of drinking straw over the shafts to protect them and put them in a cordless drill. Just use a rag with the brasso held against the surface of the spool while it's spinning. Same with the posts one half at a time. Saves a lot of work.
Vic

kjdunne

I slid a piece of drinking straw over the shafts to protect them and put them in a cordless drill. Just use a rag with the brasso held against the surface of the spool while it's spinning. Same with the posts one half at a time. Saves a lot of work.

Brilliant!  I'll be using this...

Kal

Gfish

Thanks Vic. That helps. Mine's a prolly a later version. Need a tail-plate bushing cover/adjuster. Someone put what looks like a metal Schrader valve(bicycle tire)cap on it and the spool shaft jiggles around a tiny bit.now I'm wondering what "steel pivot" means?
May do a break-down of the construction, I'm impressed!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

ourford

Nice reel G. Should clean up nice. I'd like to see the drag arrangement on your reel. From what I've read on ORCA, pivots are what we know as bearings. Seems steel creates more friction, but lasts longer than brass or bronze.
Vic

Gfish

The drag/gear sleeve/ brake-plate, etc.
note the tiny oblong square shaped part. The drag spacer and gear sleeve are slotted for this piece to key the two together.
I think there are more washers below the one shown inside the main gear, but I'm certain I'll damage that top one trying to get it out. They're made of some kinda Penn-looking, fiber-like material. Tap on picture to enlarge.

Gfish

I love old Penn's, but I really think the O.C.'s I've looked at(pre - 50's)are better built.

Question; did, and when did, O.C. Start putting in gear systems in that were higher than 2.5:1?

Godda show the really impressive post frame unit here. 3 posts are riveted into both rings on either side. Also there are 6 threaded holes in each post end to attach the side-plates and add even more strength. On top of that, there is a 3-screw/side stand that is approximately 1/3 the circumference of the side-plates, on a relatively small conventional.

ourford

Thanks G. Big difference from the free spools. Reel design is fascinating. I agree about the older OC reels. I think they were more quality oriented. I found some screws and an old Montague Somers Point rod to put the reel on. I doubt it's a relevant pairing, but it's ok for now.
Vic