Old, Weird, Historical, and Unusual Spinning Reels --

Started by foakes, August 26, 2017, 06:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

There's a Reelectric for Buy It Now sale on the big auction site for $40 +$9 shipping; probably not working.  With case.

Frank

Midway Tommy

The Reel Tech's worst nightmare.......................  ???

Loose Balls! :o

To be continued.......................................  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

I stopped and did not go there when I saw there was no cage.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 04, 2018, 11:20:43 AM
Yup!!...Alcedo?

Yes Sir, Erie 2CS, but I've been there before with a couple of Japanese copies:

Spin Mitey, Cargem Mignon 33 copy.

Red Ram, Alcedo 2CS copy.

But above all else  :P, I persevered.  ;D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

festus

philaroman

hey, I think I still have a pink Spin Mitey w/ cracked drag knob, somewhere...
(runs OK; never opened it -- are the gears actually steel?)

also, a new(ish) Columbian (box says 61-A on top & 61-B on side) that's vaguely similar,
but has one of those main-shaft protrusions on the bottom (oil port?)

I've mentioned the boxed Jag 25, before...  

would all 3 get me a well-functioning older Cardinal?
(exact model, size & cosmetics, irrelevant... as long as it's skirted -- hate cups)
you have me convinced to dip my toe in  ;D

yes, I know, I'm digging for the camera charger, while I'm digging for reels/parts

Alto Mare

Tommy, the Alcedo was one of the toughest spinner I worked on, but only because I didn't know what I was doing ...and I'm Italian ::) ;D
Did you use a special tool to remove the bearing in the first pic?

Great job as usual...don't loose the balls :)

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

Phil,

Yes, the Spin Mitey gears are steel. I've never seen or heard of a pink one, though. Has it been repainted? Honestly, both of those two reels are decent quality. I was surprised once I opened them up, serviced them and put them back together.

Maybe, there are a few guys out there that collect Japanese clones. The 61 is the same reel as the old Airex 365 UL. I've also got an old Apollo (similar but bigger) in one of the totes that I haven't had time to go through yet. They all came in a lot of around 10 reels I picked up a few years ago. When you get your camera going get me a couple of photos of it, papers & box.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Midway Tommy

Sal,

No special tool. After removing the main shaft, oscillation arm and main gear, I first removed the A/R dog & spring. Then, I very carefully held the pinion from turning and loosened the nut in the rotor and removed it. I carefully removed the front race on the front bearing keeping close eye on the balls. I have a small screw driver that's magnetized and I took each ball out one at a time and put them in a small jar of lacquer thinner to keep them separate from the other parts. Then I slid the worm gear back a little and removed those balls in the rear bearing the same way & put them in the jar. Once I had all the balls accounted for I slid the pinion back and out. Then, I removed the grooved nuts. They weren't at all difficult to unthread, I turned them with my fingers. The two tiered nut is one nut. It aligns the pinion worm gear and adjusts tension holding both bearing in their correct alignment. The other is the securing nut. It should be easier to put them all back in since the grease will be fresh and will help hold the balls in place. A lot of oil had been added to the races so the balls didn't stay in place very well when I took them apart. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

philaroman

Mitey is def. used/no extras...  def. original paint-job -- light purplish pink
(faded mauve? ...dunno -- not an interior decorator  ::)  salmon is a fish -- not a color)
if it's steel-on-steel, maybe I should keep it & whittle out a drag knob
good thing I didn't try to open it -- now I know to do so in a deep bin w/ handy magnet -- THANKS!!!

61 is EXC or better w/ papers & beat-up box

also found a boxed Sabre 80 2-speed -- WEIRD!!!
3:1 normal / 6:1 spool rotates opposite direction to rotor
IMASCARED to open that puppy -- esp., tiny cheap side-plate screws

GOTTA GET THE CAMERA GOING

philaroman

P.S. can't forget the 2 connected spools of Royal Bonnyl in a crumbling plastic case

happyhooker

Working with all those loose balls (don't forget a Mitchell 308) would give me loose bowels.

Frank

Alto Mare

Tommy, if the nut on the rotor is really stiff, how would you hold the pinion? I know if you try to use the main gear to help, the gear would be gone. This is why I asked if you had some type of tool to hold that pinion.

Carl L

Try transjel... (automotive transmission assembly lube) to hold small ball bearings in place for assembly !!   Once you hit it with oil or heat, it becomes a lesser consistency that dextron trans fluid.. (I use it all the time)