Old, Weird, Historical, and Unusual Spinning Reels --

Started by foakes, August 26, 2017, 06:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on June 08, 2019, 04:23:44 PM
While not officially a spinning reel, it does have "spin" caster in it name 😉  Picked it up in a bundle of stuff at an estate sale.....I don't really know much about spin casters, but it seems to be ok.....what are your ideas about the Abu Garcia Abumatic 170C......is it worth fishing with?  Bill
I just got done rebuilding one last week! Nice reel but I did have a problem with it. The spool would unseat when reeling with the rod tip low and it would flop around. I used some super glue sparingly to secure it (shouldn't have any problem getting it loose if I need to). I'd be curious to see if yours does the same thing.

Gfish

The Abu-Matic's were IMO, one of the best spincasters from back in the day. I disassembled my brothers 120 a-while back and was impressed with the engineering. If can remember it right, the drag would lossen up for a running fish when the handle was pulled backwards( maybe the "matic" part of the name ?).
Bill is your's made in Sweden or elsewhere?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on June 08, 2019, 05:05:29 PM
If can remember it right, the drag would lossen up for a running fish when the handle was pulled backwards( maybe the "matic" part of the name ?).

That's correct G, it's the same system the Ambassadeur D models use. I never could get used to that...but it does work very well. We use the older red metal bodied 170s still, they are great reels.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bill B

This one is Japanese, per the sticker on the foot.  Dumb question but after removing the spool cover how does this come apart for service?
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on June 08, 2019, 05:21:20 PM
This one is Japanese, per the sticker on the foot.  Dumb question but after removing the spool cover how does this come apart for service?
The rotor/pickup assembly unscrews by holding the handle so it can't turn. You will see off/on with arrows on the spool, turn it in the off direction until it stops and then pull it straight off. You will see 3 screws that will need to be removed to take the back cover/button assembly off.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Gfish on June 08, 2019, 05:05:29 PM
...the drag would lossen up for a running fish when the handle was pulled backwards( maybe the "matic" part of the name ?...

This was called Synchro Drag. By turning the handle a quarter turn backwards, drag could be reduced by up to 75%. Available on some of the Abumatics and the Ambassadeur 7000 Synchro for several years. (only on the 7xxx size for some reason, afaik... dunno why)

QuoteThat's correct G, it's the same system the Ambassadeur D models use...

No, the D reels (4xxx and 5xxx) did not have the Synchro function. The D was for Direct Drive-- they still had a drag system, but the handle would back-pedal when paying out line.

Gfish

Ok, I can offer up 1 circular gear box reel from the US. This is the Bache Brown Mastereel, model 3, from the Airex Corp. which is a division of the Lionel Corp. Wow, that outta be an interesting buisness history. This babies got alota metal in it!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Here's all the disassembled parts. Plastic parts are the drag knob, the handle knob and the spool sleeve. Don't know metallurgy too well, but it has an aluminium spool, what looks like a stainless steel rotor(chromed brass?), brass pinion and bushings, mabey an aluminium body and the main gear-?

The Fishing Hobby

I've seen those Mastereels a lot on the big auction site. Always wondered if they feel like a coffee grinder after cleaning up or if they are smooth...I'm about to find out  ;D
I like the way they look, similar to the Cap, Mitchell, Luxor round body reels.

Gfish

The "half bail" and auto-return system. A sturdy lookin system: the bail piviots outward and note that there's a little knob at the bottom for manual(finger pressure) return. The rotor seems to be permanently attached to the pinion underneath the body and possibly by the rivet on the propeller lookin return unit. Also the line roller is permanently rivited to the bail with an oil hole on one side.
That would be one negitive for me, these and a few other parts such as the handle knob, are not replaceable other than by peening or riviting. As I remember my DAM Quick 250 standard, nearly everything was held by removable fasteners.

Gfish

The ossilation system. Simple: a knob on the main gear that actuates a brass ossilator, a nice little brass roller behind that and then there's a modified screw in the spool shaft.

Gfish

The anti-reverse system: it's actuated by an aluminium main gear sleeve which is real convenient as it's right next to your left hand, you twist it about 1/4 turn-on or off. The antireverse pawl blocking movement of the main gear shaft is not the best arrangement for strength purposes. In Mo's "B Grade Spinning Reels" thread, I remember a Heddon model that had the antireverse pawl on a rachet right above the pinion, which may well be the best system.
You can see how there's a stud on the pawl where the spring attaches. The stud went through the gear cover via a little groove and was permanently attached to the on/off gear sleeve unit. It busted. You can maybe just see it sheered off on the edge of the aluminium main gear sleeve. SCREWS! Dammit...

festus

Interesting reel, Gfish.  My father had an old Airex that was similar with the half bail on a rod with a Tennessee handle.  However, it wasn't working as long as I can remember.  He bought himself a South Bend spinner on a 6' rod and got me a red spincaster when l was 11 or 12. 

Gfish

A nice tuff little spinner with a 1/2 bail and a 3.5:1 retrieve rate. Typical of spinners from this era, not alota line capacity. I like the simplicity of the systems. The drag ramps up quickly and could use more parts(washers), I'm sure it won't be smooth at higher settings. And last but not least: more removable fasteners!

"Look Bengie, Grandpa's a big reel nerd!"

"Yup."

David Hall

Yep and all grandpas buddies are reel nerds too. There's no escape.