Old, Weird, Historical, and Unusual Spinning Reels --

Started by foakes, August 26, 2017, 06:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Cute kid.  Entertaining read.  Thank you.
-steve

Alto Mare

Interesting reel Gregg, reminds me of the CrAck.
Oh, cute kid...hell be showing you how it's done in no  time :)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

On the Abu 170c I use one for 8 years,,,, :D great reels,,,,biggest fish 25lb mahi,,,,,gregg your going to take the little one fishing,,,,,,, ;D

Robert Janssen

Thought y'all might like to see this peculiar unit. This is a Tokoz Tap 451, from Czechoslovakia. Originally conceived by Mr Adolf Tlustos in 1945, he named  the reel TAP for Tlustoš Adolf of Prague. The company was doing fairly well and the reels were considered very fine indeed. Some time after WWII the company was nationalized and became Tokoz. Tokoz continued to manufacture the reels for many years. This unit here is a much more modern version, quite probably lacking any of the finesse of the early reels, but the mechanical concept remains the same.

A first glance shows a relatively normal looking reel, albeit sorta squarish form-follows-function design. Very utilitarian.

A second look from the side shows that the spool is way crooked, as if the shaft was bent or something. Odd.

A quick, basic disassembly shows that it uses a reverse slew gear drive to spin the rotor like so many other reels, at a fairly slow ratio, just under 3:1.

The knob at the back twists 90 degrees and locks / unlocks the antireverse.

Under the spool there is some sort of a small face gear, mounted in such as way as to wobble on its shaft, like a swash plate. This face gear has a counterpart on the spool, but since the spool is canted at that peculiar angle, only a very small portion of the geared section actually mate. This entails that as the rotor whizzes 'round, the face gear wobbles, bringing the spool with it at a much slower rate. Since the spool is canted, any line being wound onto it is laid in a spiral, and since the spool rotates, said line is laid evenly on the spool, thusly negating the need for an oscillating mechanism. Clever!

The drag, incidentally, is also mounted under the spool, in a typical bare-bones fashion... felt washer, metal washer, and that's about it.

Robert Janssen

Aaand a little video to show that...

Maxed Out

Wow, now that is unique, and very cool. Never imagined a spinning reel with a spool didn't go up and down when retrieving. It likely had a few inherent flaws that made the design obsolete.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

foakes

Wow!

Thanks for sharing this, Robert...

Clever design and concept.

Did this line retrieval system ever become very popular in Europe — and were these reels made in any numbers?

Always appreciate your unique perspectives and information, Robert!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Thanks for the video clip, Robert. It's interesting to see the crosswind concept in action. They were made in various sizes. There sure is an awful lot of information on that site.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Dude!
The external look on this one "unusual", but the action is something else!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

I'm impressed by the compact gear case.  When you get rid of all that up-down spool oscillation stuff that had been there since Illingworth the reel can become much smaller and lighter.  Ingenious. What's the time frame on that Robert?
-steve

happyhooker

That line winding idea is wild.  Afraid I might get dizzy watching it if I used one.  But, ingenious, for sure.  Thanks for the post.

Frank

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Robert Janssen on September 05, 2019, 02:17:01 AM
Aaand a little video to show that...

Strange , The video shows the wobble plate going side to side and no spin , and yet with the spool on you see spin and no wobble !
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Silvers

Quote from: foakes on September 05, 2019, 01:54:34 PM
Wow!

Thanks for sharing this, Robert...

Clever design and concept.

Did this line retrieval system ever become very popular in Europe — and were these reels made in any numbers?

Always appreciate your unique perspectives and information, Robert!

Best,

Fred

I remember at those reels in my children time, where my dad use such reel...and i still have it found in a hidden box. ;D

The line retrieval system is an very old czech patent and was only use in TAP/Tokoz reels from czech. It is very unique, i dont know any other reel from europe or everwhere which use this concept.
Those reels was made in few series over a long time.

Here is a czech site which show a lot of them (only czech language)

http://www.dexempo.cz/svet_ryb/rybarske_muzeum/expozice/TOKOZ/navijaky/tap/index.htm
http://www.dexempo.cz/svet_ryb/rybarske_muzeum/expozice/TOKOZ/navijaky/index.htm

At first link there is also a picture of a schematic which shows those system.
Dismantling all parts of the reel for maintenance isnt easy, it needs special tools for which was only getting when you bought a new reel.
The bad thing of those reels was the bail spring, a simple small wire which was just wrapped around the bailholder in the rotor.

Hope this gives you a deeper view at those unique reels. ;)

foakes

Thank You, Silvers!

Great information.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.