Old, Weird, Historical, and Unusual Spinning Reels --

Started by foakes, August 26, 2017, 06:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Yes, thanks for those links...very interesting reading !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Midway Tommy

Great information &site, Silvers! Thanks for sharing!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JAL

Hello there fellow reel-enthusiasts  :)
I'm new here so this will be my first post.
I've recently been given this fine old spincast/spinning reel. I don't really know a lot about it, and neither does the internet apparently. It is a Nikko Sangyo "No. 550 JET", allegedly produced mid 1960's. It has a nice selector switch by the handle, determining the winding direction and the left and right side plates are interchangeable, thus making it a left/right handed spinning or spincast reel. I think it is a cool little reel allthough the drag design could be a lot better. It consists of a simple spring that squeezes both sides of the spool. Turning the knob on top (or bottom if you set it up to be a spinning reel) of the reel simply pulls the spring in between two posts, and so increases the tension.

Does anybody know anything about it? ???

Oh, by the way. I'm danish so my appologies if my written english is subpar  :D

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

JAL

Quote from: Crow on September 25, 2019, 10:22:03 PM
Welcome !  Where at, in Denmark ?

Thank you Crow  :D
I live near Sorø, in the middle of Zealand.

Midway Tommy

Do searches on "Nikko Sangyo" and "Angler". There is a lot of information out there about their reels and who had them manufacture reels for their companies. Nikko Sangyo is still in business but they only manufactured reels for a few years in the '60s.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

happyhooker

Welcome, JAL, to the AT site, from Minnesota, USA.  

Your first post is a winner.  Interesting reel.  Exterior look, switchable covers/handle, ability to use as spincast or spinning, drag knob on top, etc., remind me of the old Johnson Century/Citation reels, although your reel has a different drag.  Looks like the spool might be reversible too, also like the Johnsons.  There's a YouTube vid on the 550.

Got a bit of Danish blood in my heritage, and down the road a piece from my hometown is a town with much Danish heritage, Danebod Folk School and a summer "fest" called "Aebleskiver Days".

Frank

broadway

Robert, that is one cool spinning reel.  Is the gear on the handle one piece hobbed into the handle or installed on the end?
Also, when oscillating does it install the line on straight or does it kinda create an "X" overlap?
Thanks for showing,
Dom
PS- Welcome to the board Jal. 

oc1

Quote from: JAL on September 25, 2019, 10:17:37 PM
I've recently been given this fine old spincast/spinning reel.
Quote from: Midway Tommy on September 26, 2019, 12:03:27 AM
Do searches on "Nikko Sangyo" and "Angler". There is a lot of information out there about their reels and who had them manufacture reels for their companies. Nikko Sangyo is still in business but they only manufactured reels for a few years in the '60s.

Wow, that's it!  I received a reel just like that for my birthday in 1962.  It was my first new reel (not a hand-me-down).  It was on a yellow Wonderod bait-casting rod.

It was purchased from the local Western Auto Store and marked "Revelation" like their trade firearms.

I tried to look it up one time and found photos of some gray ones but never a red/black one like mine.  The drag knob is the weak link and is the first thing to break.
-steve

Robert Janssen

Dom, yes-- it is a seperate piece. And yes, criss-cross pattern.

JAL

Thank you guys for your kind replies to my first post. I guess my google-fu is weak as I have not previously been able to find any info on the angler reels. It might be because i got millions of hits searching for "angler reel" :-\

It does share a lot of similarities with the johnson reels, and the spool is indeed reversible. Here is a picture of the other side of the spool.

I have just cleaned it and set it up to be a lh spincast reel to use on my ABU Tournament II rod from the same era. I think it is pretty cool to use a combo that is probably older than my parents (both born in '63).

Midway Tommy

Any of you "old timers", like me  ;D, remember hearing about the craftsmanship of those old Swiss watch makers? Well here's a reel from around 1960. It's the Recordette 21 made in Switzerland by the Record Reel Co. In its time it was considered an ultra-lite. The body is small. The larger rotor helps eliminate line twist.

I don't think it has ever been fished, and I also don't think it had ever been serviced.

Here's a couple of shots I took along the disassembly route. They show the old dried grease & oil stains.

There certainly was a lot of grease, as Mo would say, "under the hood".  ::)

Like most of the old Record reels, the click spring is mounted on the side plate.

Got everything cleaned up with a good lacquer thinner soak on the non-painted metal parts and Original White Goop scrub and Dawn & warm water soak on the painted and plastic parts. This little cutie is ready to put back together.

As always, I start with the rotor cup and install the bail and bail trip mechanism. On this reel the pinion gear is slightly flared onto the main shaft tube. The bushing is installed ahead of the pinion gear and the main shaft tube is threaded into the rotor cup. There must be a special tool to hold that tube in place while unscrewing the rotor but I don't have anything that I thought would secure it enough to remove the rotor so I left it in place and cleaned it thoroughly. (Edit: LanceV informed me that the rotor & bushing are reverse thread if you have an appropriate tool to hold the bushing.) Notice the unique configuration of the bail spring. It's not sprung or twisted, that's the way it was made to function. I lube the spring & pockets with ArmorAll.

Once the bail spring and arm are installed it's time for the bail trip arm to be installed. The slotted bolt goes in from the backside and the arm pivots on the nut. I add a little oil here, no grease to gum things up.

Now it's time to install the bail and set the rotor aside to install later. It has a SS roller guide that actually spins. I use ArmorAll on the roller guide, too.

Time to install the body mechanics. The anti-reverse dogs and lever are pressed/riveted in so they had to be cleaned in place. I lubed them with a synthetic oil and a light coat of Super Lube. (my favorite grease). The anti-reverse ratchet is a separate gear and mounts on a pin on the back of the main gear. They get a good coat of Super Lube and a little oil to help thin the grease.

With the main gear in place it's time to install the rotor. The pinion gear and bushing get greased & oiled just like the main gear. A set screw protrudes into the groove on the bushing and retains the the rotor.

Now it's time to install the main shaft, oscillation block and click spring onto the sideplate. The oscillation block goes onto the main gear first. The main shaft installs from the rear and goes through a hole in the block. The block is held in place on the shaft by two e-clips. I installed the rear e-clip prior to inserting the main shaft and installed the second one after the shaft is in place. The main shaft has a pin that fits in a slot in the bushing in the brake cavity. The end of the bushing has slots. The spring on the sideplate rubs on that extension and clicks when that bushing rotates.

Time to install the brake parts. The small washer is leather and the large washer is a wool like fiber material. It's adequate for the reel design and has decent adjustment. Here you can see how the click spring will ride against the slots in the bushing.

Next step is to put together the handle and install it and the spool. To tighten or remove the spool on Record reels the drag knob has to be tightened down as tight as it will go because there's no front drag knob and the main shaft and spool are both threaded.

All done! The Recordette 21 is a cute little reel and functions well. They came in turquoise and in black. Both are a little tough to come by, especially the turquoise colored one.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mo65

That is a sweetie Tom! Fantastic clean up...thanks for the look inside. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

That's a neat one !  I'll bet the old grease you scraped out weighed as much as the reel !!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Crow on November 01, 2019, 01:05:29 AM
That's a neat one !  I'll bet the old grease you scraped out weighed as much as the reel !!

As much as the body, anyway.  :)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE