Old, Weird, Historical, and Unusual Spinning Reels --

Started by foakes, August 26, 2017, 06:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Thanks Tommy for your great tutorial on the record reel, & your wealth of knowledge, very interesting.
      gee Robert, never been game enough to even open a watch, very interesting, thanks.
Jal thats a nice angler reel, never seen one before, & welcome, from sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on November 04, 2019, 01:07:20 PM
Quote from: Robert Janssen on November 04, 2019, 04:45:33 AM
It also has a glass back, so you can see the watch movement inside.

You always post such interesting items Robert...thanks for sharing. 8)

Yup! He sure does Mike, it is always amazing to me.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Thanks for that Tutorial on the Recordette Tommy. Amazing!
Very Cool Watch Robert. I am in Awe. :o
Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

I was fortunate enough a couple of weeks ago to pick up a cool, and extremely rare, Spool=Change Spinning Spool from the early 1950s. The reel was made in Germany exclusively for the Spool Change Co of Chicago, IL.

Here's an August 1954 Popular Mechanics article about the reel.

I did my usual total disassembly, soaked the unpainted metal parts in lacquer thinner and cleaned the painted stand/foot and aluminum spool with Original White Goop and washed them with Dawn and warm water. This reel doesn't have many parts and was easy to take apart.  :) Here are the cleaned parts (3 of which I ad-libbed) ready to put back together.

First I'll install the line guide mechanism onto the arm. The line will ride against the post and go through the plated wire guide. The post and nut retain the wire guide. The grooves in the arm keep the wire guide from moving.

Next I'll install the arm onto the stand/foot. Once installed the arm will pivot on the stand/foot. Tension is maintained by a detent ball and spring. There is a hole on the stand for the spring and grooves in the sides for the ball to slide down against the spring. If you look closely, although it's dark, you can see them. The notches in the plate on the arm hold the arm in the casting, and then reeling, positions. The arm pivots on the retaining screw.

The arm is connected to the stand/foot and it's time to install the spool and crank/handle. Here's where I ad-libbed. The reel doesn't have  any drag washers, the drag is the spool friction against the arm and handle. I decided to make a couple of crude drag washers. I put the teflon washer under the spool, a mylar washer above the spool and a rubber tension washer between the mylar washer and crank/handle. Drag tension is adjusted with the nut on the crank/handle.

That's it, pretty simple and it's all put together. Here are a couple of photos of it in the reeling position.

Pivot the arm up and it's ready to cast or release line similar to an open face spinner. I'll bet it doesn't cast very well, though, given the depth and narrowness of the spool flanges.  ::)

Flip the arm down and it's ready to reel in line.

A unique, cool and rare reel from the early innovative days of US spin fishing.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mhc

Interesting reel Tommy, the foot looks threaded and appears to be connected to the rod with a pair of clamping nuts of some sort - deckhand style without a reel seat on the rod?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

foakes

That is a first time see for me, Tommy -- Thanks!

Really shows how simple an open face spinning reel can be.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

That one is an odd duck indeed...nice restoration Tommy!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Thanks for sharing Tom, nice reel with very little parts.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mhc on November 29, 2019, 01:20:27 PM
Interesting reel Tommy, the foot looks threaded and appears to be connected to the rod with a pair of clamping nuts of some sort - deckhand style without a reel seat on the rod?

Mike

Mike,

It's the early style spinning rod with a cork handle and metal slip rings. Nowadays they call them a Tennessee style grip, although some guys don't use rings, they just secure the reel foot to the handle with electrical tape. That's the only type of handle I'll use for freshwater fishing but I use rings. Tennessee style makes it easy to position the reel for perfect balance.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oc1

That's pretty cool and I don't mean to be picky Tommy, but wouldn't that be considered a sidecast reel instead of a spinning reel?
https://australianfishingmuseum.com/sidecast-fishing-reels/
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on November 29, 2019, 08:33:07 PM
That's pretty cool and I don't mean to be picky Tommy, but wouldn't that be considered a sidecast reel instead of a spinning reel?
https://australianfishingmuseum.com/sidecast-fishing-reels/
-steve

I don't know, Steve.  ??? 

Most pivot foot sidecasters I'm familiar with, albeit modified, are also considered a spinning reel because the line leaves from the face of the spool without the spool spinning. IMHO there's some difference between what was once known just as "fixed spools" and what is now referred to as "spinning reels".

A true sidecaster, in my mind, would be like the Johnson Model 80 or the Wright & McGill Fre-Line because the foot doesn't pivot and, also, this definition. .    ;D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oc1

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 29, 2019, 09:39:56 PM
Most pivot foot sidecasters I'm familiar with, albeit modified, are also considered a spinning reel because the line leaves from the face of the spool without the spool spinning. IMHO there's some difference between what was once known just as "fixed spools" and what is now referred to as "spinning reels".

A true sidecaster, in my mind, would be like the Johnson Model 80 or the Wright & McGill Fre-Line because the foot doesn't pivot and, also, this definition. .    ;D

I'd call the Johnson and Wright-McGill sidewinders and the pivoting stuff like Alvey, Malloch and your Spool-Change side casters.  All side casters have the same idea and all have the same disadvantage.  The line twists as it is cast off the spool, but the twists are not removed as line is wound back onto the reel so the twists accumulate over time.  Alvey pretended that all you need is a swivel to get the twists out of the line, but that is not really a satisfactory solution.  

Spinning reels and spincast reel (including the sidewinders) remove the twists (or, really, reverse the twists) as they wrap line back onto the spool.  So, twists do not accumulate.

I've seen pitchers of other mid-century pivoting sidecast reel like the Colgrove, Mar-Vel, Karge & Son and at least one I can't remember.
-steve

Midway Tommy

There were a few similarly designed pivoting reels including the Flo-Line, Dragonfly, etc. Heck, Colgrove called his reel a spinning reel.    :)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

philaroman

always thought it was the vague resemblance to a spinning wheel (spool = wheel; roller = bobbin):

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=spinning+wheel&qpvt=spinning+wheel&FORM=IGRE

if that's so, the analogy breaks down without  some contraption bringing line in from the side

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !