Old, Weird, Historical, and Unusual Spinning Reels --

Started by foakes, August 26, 2017, 06:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: Gfish on July 30, 2021, 08:58:36 PM
Cooool, a lever drag on a spinner. Kinda handy, when you think about adjusting the drag during a fight. So, I'mina guess, it puts pressure on the spool shaft, inside the gearbox, which is anchored to the spool?

Gregg

I dont know if this little guy, the Magnumlite GTX 2100 speedmaster spinning reel qualify as historical or unusual spinning reel but it does have reardrag and also a lever drag to make microadjustments on the fly.

this is waaay to small to use it on my beaches so, it has a place on my desk
The Baja Guy

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Brewcrafter on August 04, 2021, 07:01:57 AM
Tommy - That is a really neat Sears ad!  Even at my age, I'm a little weak sometimes on Cost of Living rationalizations; for that Larchmont reel being $23.50/$16.20, what was comparable at the time?  What would one have expected to pay for say a Mitchell or other popular spinner of the day?  I have to think at the wages of the time that would have been a serious purchase? - john

The ad says $27.50/$17.50 for a Mitchell, which would have been a 300. My dad was 26 and a carpenter at that time (owned his own non-union business). Union carpenter scale was around $3.00 an hour, non-union more like $2.50. It would have taken two days work, after taxes, to buy a Mitchell 300, Orvis 100, and even a Zebco 33  ::). Carpenter wages are 10X that in 2020/21 here so it seems it be would equivalent to a $250-$300 reel in todays work environment. I think money went further back then, though.  :-\
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Wompus Cat

The inflation from 1956 to 2021 is approximately 10X sooooooooo
A ten Dollar item back then would cost 100 today .
If you factor in machining costs back then to today's Automated CNC Machines  and Cad Designing  and composite Materials some stuff might actually be cheaper .

The Key to survival  in any era monetarily is to always make More than you Spend . ::)
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 05, 2021, 01:27:04 AM
Quote from: Brewcrafter on August 04, 2021, 07:01:57 AM
Tommy - That is a really neat Sears ad!  Even at my age, I'm a little weak sometimes on Cost of Living rationalizations; for that Larchmont reel being $23.50/$16.20, what was comparable at the time?  What would one have expected to pay for say a Mitchell or other popular spinner of the day?  I have to think at the wages of the time that would have been a serious purchase? - john

The ad says $27.50/$17.50 for a Mitchell, which would have been a 300. My dad was 26 and a carpenter at that time (owned his own non-union business). Union carpenter scale was around $3.00 an hour, non-union more like $2.50. It would have taken two days work, after taxes, to buy a Mitchell 300, Orvis 100, and even a Zebco 33  ::). Carpenter wages are 10X that in 2020/21 here so it seems it be would equivalent to a $250-$300 reel in todays work environment. I think money went further back then, though.  :-\
$274.69   in todays money             https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Brewcrafter

Thank you Tommy for the perspective!  While it can be fairly easy and semi accurate to use a cost of living or other econ calculator, I always like to see what the advertised prices were and with the firsthand feedback of you reminiscing about your Dad's financial situation, it really puts it in focus for me, thanks!!!!!! - john

foakes

This is exactly why it is good to buy and fish QUALITY spinning reels from 35 to 50 years ago.

They fish well, parts are available, they have both collector as well as monetary appreciation value.

For $30 to $100 — a good quality spinner such as Cardinal, Penn, Mitchell, or DAM Quick can be picked up.

The fish haven't changed in millions of years — what could be wrong with a $100 metal, worm-drive, proven spinner — that if new — would run around $300, or so?

Plus, they are cool, nostalgic, historical, as well as capable reels that cannot be bought today — for any price.

This is why I have chosen to specialize in these brands — after working on all others for over 40 years.

This is my viewpoint — based purely on personal experience.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Fred you smooth talkin Devil ................
You have me convinced to start Collecting old Reels now !

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 05, 2021, 12:03:26 PM

What took you so long, Harry, oh, I mean Henry?  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Ron Jones

To me the Pinnacle is the Gold Penns and the skirted Mitchels. Skirted spools make a lot of sense, and the Penns and Mitchels are familiar to me and bulletproof.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 05, 2021, 08:11:36 PM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 05, 2021, 12:03:26 PM

What took you so long, Harry, oh, I mean Henry?  ;D

Been waitn to see if there were anythin to it. I got like 5 Zebco's and a few others ::)

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Definately WEIRD

If they go for 19.99 I'm in . Can't wait to see how it works in the Sand and Mud ..

Gfish

Cool! Great idea, but might complicate things for an absentminded person like me.
I can see myself either forgetting to make the switch between casts, or forgetting the side I used to start out with.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

Someone spent a lot of time and money developing that,  look like decently made anyway. I wonder how you guide the line back on the spool?  Need a mighty long finger I guess
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!