Servicing a Penn 9500 SS Spinning Reel

Started by Alto Mare, June 05, 2011, 07:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Dwight, keep in mind that this was done over three years ago. It is good to see how we keep improving as we move along, noticed my grease gun? ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

harryk3616

El Pescador

Check out the mod's done here on this website for a 9500SS!!

http://fishinkona.com/jigging.htm

About 2/3 the way down the page, Interesting.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Alto Mare

Wayne, thanks for posting the link, but as I've mentioned above, this thread is over three years old ;D. We keep improving as we move along, here is a shot of the stainless steel dogs and ratchet...first pic.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10216.msg111909#msg111909
We're not done with the upgrades on this reel just yet, we have something else cooking on the back burner that I'm not going to talk about now. The parts will still need some time to be ready and we need to make sure  they'll work, so don't hold your breath, it's going to take a while....definitely worth the wait though ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

El Pescador

Sal,

that's why we leave it in your capable hands!

For my education, what is the benefit to remove the the Transfer Lever - #224-750?

Thanks!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Alto Mare

Good question Wayne, since we were removing the fins on the silent dog, I thought there was no need for the transfer lever, the dogs will always make contact with the ratchet, BUT, if you want to disengage them, you'll need to do it from the top and bottom eccentric lever. I now like to leave the transfer lever on and I mentioned it at one of my later posts. The dogs with the transfer lever will work the same as the ones without, but you'll be able to disengage both by moving the top eccentric only.
Bottom line, they will both work, but the dogs with it is a better option.
We have been working on some handle knobs for these reels as well, here are a couple of pics, sorry, being black, I can't get them to show how nice they really are.

I requested aluminum, but we're thinking Delrin is a much better choice.
These were made by Dave ( Jurelometer), after seeing some of his work, I call him Michelangelo ;D.
The other machinist here are also great, we are very lucky having these guys here with us.

Mic

Your the best Sal~!,
Right after Alan of course, but the best none the less!

Saved to by favorites until I get this computer battery recharged!

You know this is an A #1, First Class reel repair site simply by the type and stile of the people like Sal and Alan and a whole bunch of others that want to see us all exceed.

You guy sure move the world

Mic

ez2cdave

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 05, 2011, 07:16:39 PM
I was servicing this Penn 9500 SS and I thought it would be a good idea to post some pictures.  Hope you enjoy them! Any questions, just ask!
Sal

Sal,

Below is a downloadable PDF file of this great tutorial you did . . .

Tight Lines !

Alto Mare

Wow, I have no idea how you do it Dave, but I do appreciate it very much.
This is so cool, thank you!

Sal

ez2cdave

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 15, 2016, 10:08:21 PM
Wow, I have no idea how you do it Dave, but I do appreciate it very much.
This is so cool, thank you!

Sal

Sal,

Here is my "SECRET" . . . I highlight and copy the entire text and pictures. I paste it into Microsoft Word and make whatever adjustments I want . . . Then, I save it as a PDF and upload it . . . VOILA ! ! !

Tight Lines !