Reel Seat Repair

Started by Bill B, August 27, 2017, 12:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newfuturevintage

I love that fix. Super graceful way to approach the problem.

oc1

I'd like a small metal lathe too Bill.  Have you looked into them yet?  Any suggestions?
-steve

Alto Mare

That is a good repair, thanks for sharing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

I finished the other two, now need to get to the hardware store for some SS screws...this time drilled it for two on each side...Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

Bill that's sweet work. Btw you ain't on the Sac Delta no mo! Check avatar lol

Bill B

Gotcha brother....fixed....call me next time your in SoCal  let me know and I will bbq some yard bird.....Bill

thorhammer

done. i'd love to see that cabinet in person.

Bill B

Ready to fish....cut the #6-32 SS screws to 9/16" thread length, milled the screw head down to .200 using a drill press and file.   Mounting the new hood to the rod is a little cumbersome, but if you are not constantly changing reels this will not be a problem.  The new clamp is tight and the locking nuts are really not necessary but Im nt ready to cut them off just yet.  I realize this whole thing could be scrapped if I was using an aftermarket reel clamp such as a "Cork Puppy" but I had an idea and wanted to see if this would work.  Here it is mounted on a Kencor Tenlew rod and Penn Squidder 140.  Bill

Ron Jones

You have basically made a reel clamp for clampless reels. I am thinking they will work great for Deck Hand special rods. Really clean work
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

In my opinion, that is much better than the original, very creative Bill.
Great job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Quote from: noyb72 on September 03, 2017, 10:19:09 PM
You have basically made a reel clamp for clampless reels. I am thinking they will work great for Deck Hand special rods. Really clean work
Ron

I was about to type same thing....what a nice move. Sorry Bill, you are now in the custom parts business. I'm going to start my deckhand build this weekend, and I'd like my set in Cortez Ice Blue  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ron, glad to have you back up in fresh air!

newfuturevintage

Bill, your work on this inspired me to look into things that might work to fix a split seat on a generic 9' surf rod that I've got/love/haven't used for years because of said split seat.

I found this piece on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063KX9AY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that, while not nearly as graceful as what you've done, locks down a reel something fierce.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Ron

edit: I think I got the last one. I only paid $6.70 for it. I suspect the current $28 price has to do with them being out of stock.

Bill B

Ron, that's perfect....what a price jump from $6 to $28  :o, bet they have been reading AT.com  ;)  Im wondering what else is out there that we could use...Hmmmm   Bill

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

newfuturevintage

Quote from: TARFU on September 23, 2017, 02:06:51 AM
Ron, that's perfect....what a price jump from $6 to $28  :o, bet they have been reading AT.com  ;)  Im wondering what else is out there that we could use...Hmmmm   Bill

;D

I noticed they've got a ton of different sizes/ materials (SS, aluminum, nylon) of the same kind of product. Fortunately, most of them are in the $8-15 range.

Volatile Amazon pricing cracks me up: it's up to $60 today!