Starter kit for reel maintenance and repair

Started by Noahg727, August 29, 2017, 10:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahg727

I'v been tinkering with my reels as well as my buddies recently. Iv really grown to love it, but admittedly I don't have he correct suplies. I want to compile a list of supplies that will allow me to perform maintenance correctly. Keep in mind, I need it to be as cheap as possible! So no throwing 100$ suggestions my way. Lol. (Most my money goes to support my expensive land based shark fishing habit.) Anyway this is the starter kit if complied:
Cal's Grease
Soft brass Bristol brush
Corrosion x
Penn wrench
Carb cleaner
Compressed air can
Proper screwdrivers (assorted sizes)
Break cleaner?
Blunt tip syringe set (packing bearings)
Custom bent fin nor wrench (removing bearings)
Paint brushs

Let me know if I'm missing something or don't need something in that list. Any other suggestions are welcomed too!

Thanks
Noah

George6308

You are missing one important item: an Alan Tani Penn wrench.

RowdyW

Penn blue or Yamaha Marine grease, Vinegar, Mineral Spirits (forget the carb & brake cleaners),Simple Green, Needle nosed pliers, various picks & hooks, Allen wrenches (std. & metric, Torx wrenches, cotton swabs, paper towels-rags etc., 5-40 & 8-40 taps & dies for cleaning threads, small wire or bronze brushes, an old ratty toothbrush. This goes on & on as you get deeper & deeper into the Dark Side of reel repair.  ;D  ;D        Rudy

Bill B

Noah, as you and Rudy listed you would be good to go, may not need the taps yet, I would add a small assortment of wrenches and 1/4" sockets.  Ive found mineral spirits way better than brake/carb cleaner, and the Simple Green good for general cleaning.  When greasing bearings I remove the shields and hand pack them.  You do not need to go crazy in he beginning, add tools as you need them.....a good starting list:

Penn Wrench (Highly recommend Alan's custom wrench)
Screwdrivers (Ive used removable tips but custom ground one to fit Penn perfectly)
Needle nose pliers (a small pair, large size are not real useful here)
A pick (dental picks are ok)
3/16" punch
SMALL hammer (a tack hammer is fine)
Wrenches
1/4" drive sockets
Utility knife (to remove tight side rings by carefully prying around the edges)
Allen/Torx bits (if you find yourself working on reels that need them)
tooth brush and brass brush
Kids' School Pencil Box for parts
Cal's (for drags)
Penn Blue or Yamaha marine grease
Penn Oil (CorrosionX or ReelX if you have extra money)
Mineral Spirits
White Vinegar

and an old tackle box to store it all in.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oc1

Bamboo skewers for poking and picking. A big pair of slip-joint pliers and hard rubber gasket material for holding things.  Good lighting.
-steve

Gfish

Various shapes and sizes of files. Wet or dry sandpaper 400 to 1000 grain. Latter on, a Dremel tool.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jzman

Invest in a good set of screwdrivers.  Wiha has good precision screwdrivers.  I like PB Swiss for Ph1 and ph2 screwdrivers. 

thorhammer

Note, you can frequently find these common tools in flea market bins for next to nothing. White vinegar, simple green and lubes will get you a long way. Your best investment is def Alan's wench.

John

Noviceman

Is there a site on this forum with everything that Alan sells with prices etc???    Have looked but not found...Thanks...

sdlehr

Quote from: Noviceman on August 30, 2017, 03:06:28 PM
Is there a site on this forum with everything that Alan sells with prices etc???    Have looked but not found...Thanks...
http://alantani.com/index.php?board=13.0
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Noviceman

johndtuttle

I cheap set of "dental" picks or the like are very useful for prying on spring clips in addition to the stuff listed above.

Noviceman

I do have a set of those...very helpful..thanks..

ez2cdave

Eye protection & Nitrile gloves ( like in Doctor's office )

You will be dealing with springs and clips that can fly with force, dirty parts / messy lubricants, plus using solvents, compressed air, and aerosol products.

Tight Lines !

Porthos

At least two travel toothbrush holders of different colors. One for blue grease brush, one for the drag grease brush.