Fin-Nor OFS55 ANTI - REVERSE problem

Started by SeaDawg, August 29, 2017, 11:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaDawg

I can't seem to get the ANTI - REVERSE on this OFS55 to work. I have cleaned it several times and removed the spring in an attempt to tighten it up. Am I missing something obvious or not so obvious? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
God created the fishing pole to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world...........

DISCLAIMER: All information posted by me anywhere on the internet is purely for entertainment purposes. Information in my postings cannot be relied upon as, nor considered, factual. Thank you.

alantani

pull the spool and the rotor and you should be able to see the anti-reverse pawl in action.  i'm sure you've done that already.  maybe a short cell phone video of the pawl in action might help us.  i'm not familiar with the reel at all.  hopefully someone here will be.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SeaDawg

Well, don't I feel stupid............I bought this reel used from a guy who said the anti-reverse didn't work, and I am not familiar with these reels at all either. So I put it aside for awhile and worked on others, picking it back up every now and then looking at it trying to figure out what the problem was. A clear schematic was not to be had :) So after weeks/months of this, I finally saw the problem. Apparently the gentleman I purchased this reel from had disassembled it at some point and had reassembled it wrong. He had the anti-reverse pawl on backwards. I simply turned it around and the anti-reverse magically worked perfectly! Imagine that!!!  ??? I think I will keep this reel, I mean a $25 dollar Fin-Nor 5500 Offshore is a deal, right?
God created the fishing pole to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world...........

DISCLAIMER: All information posted by me anywhere on the internet is purely for entertainment purposes. Information in my postings cannot be relied upon as, nor considered, factual. Thank you.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ez2cdave

Quote from: SeaDawg on March 28, 2018, 11:06:03 AMI think I will keep this reel, I mean a $25 dollar Fin-Nor 5500 Offshore is a deal, right?

And a $16.00 Fin-Nor 5500 Offshore, for me, off eBay  !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fin-Nor-OFFSHORE-5500-Spinning-FISHING-Reel-FOR-PARTS-OR-REPAIR-/274002963549?nma=true&si=MV%252BtBcUefSVcnD9Zd01t3RTjoTg%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Seller Description : ( Initially, from the description and pics,I thought it might have a frozen bearing or two, since it is missing the Side Cap )

QUOTE :

"Fin-Nor OFFSHORE 5500  Spinning  FISHING Reel  FOR PARTS OR REPAIR  .  REEL HAS SCUFFS, SCRATCHES,  AND A MISSING PART  for being preowned, SHOWN IN MY LAST PICTURE. The reel doesn't spin or crank,maybe because of the missing part."

END QUOTE :

So, TODAY, the reel arrives and TURNS FREELY, but the handle turns forward and backward, without engaging the gears . . . SURPRISE, the only thing wrong with it was that the Handle was not screwed all the way in . . . Once I did that, all functions normally, but I am going to do a complete strip-down, cleaning, lubing, new drag washers, and all 3 bearings ( I think it only has 3 ), as a precaution.

I am fully expecting other issues, when I open up the reel . . .

I will take this reel for $16.00 ( + $ 9.99 shipping ), ALL DAY LONG !

Tight Lines !

Dave F.