Brand New 221

Started by Ruffy, October 06, 2019, 05:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffy

Was surfing the webs and picked up a few reels last week which I am pretty chuffed about. One of which is a brand new, with the tag still on, 221. Came with a second spool, and a little box of goodies (plastic tube for bail arm, resistex washer, bail spring and oil). The owner must have had a few different models; it came with a second container with a hand written piece of paper saying "330", in which was two more bail springs and resistex washers, all which look the same size as the 221 spares. Both 221 spools came with plastic arbors (I have previously only seen cork), and there was also a plastic arbor for a 440 in the box. Old mate must have had a 221, 330 and 440 at least! Will definitely be fishing this reel once it has had a relube.

Also picked up a 712 which I've been chasing for a while. It didn't have a spool which didn't worry me as I had a spare from a parts box I got. Once I got it though I found out the drag nut was cracked  :-[. It also has an aluminium main gear which was a surprise, I thought they only did brass. I'll sort out some parts from Mystic anyway, and have a killer pair of reels!

festus

Great find, Ruffy!  That 221 is so sharp I'd be reluctant to risk scuffing it on the water, but I'm sure you'll take care of it.

Finding a Penn Greenie here in Tennessee has eluded me for a couple of years.  A while back I was reading a Penn chat board, maybe Stripers Online, then again it could have been Facebook.  A poster asked a question about a DAM Quick Finessa.  Somebody answered them and said a DAM Quick spinner was similar to a Penn Greenie, only a different color and "more refined."  Good comparison.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Nice score, especially on the 221. They're tough to find in that condition.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

basto

Nice find Andrew. My first spin reel was a Penn 711. I caught a 30lb long tail with it on a Nilsmaster lure at double heads at Yeppoon many years ago.
cheers
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Ruffy

Thanks mate! I'll be looking after it, but definitely not babying it! I don't have enough storage room for collecting so only keep reels that will see the water. This one definitely will.

As far as the first gen spinners go, I've got a 705 and 714, and have previously had a 710. The 714 up until now was my favourite size for the estuary fishing I do; I didn't like the 710 as I subjectively felt the rotor/spool was too big for the body and was a little bit off when in hand. I am thinking this 712 will replace my 714 as my favourite size though; more line capacity then the 714, with all the right proportions :o.

Quote from: festus on October 06, 2019, 06:28:48 AM
Great find, Ruffy!  That 221 is so sharp I'd be reluctant to risk scuffing it on the water, but I'm sure you'll take care of it.

Finding a Penn Greenie here in Tennessee has eluded me for a couple of years.  A while back I was reading a Penn chat board, maybe Stripers Online, then again it could have been Facebook.  A poster asked a question about a DAM Quick Finessa.  Somebody answered them and said a DAM Quick spinner was similar to a Penn Greenie, only a different color and "more refined."  Good comparison.

Ruffy

Cheers Basto! The right hand wind spinners are as rare as hens teeth now. I actually don't mind winding smaller spinners with my left though so now have collected a few of the 1st gen models which see use. I had a 710, best fish I pulled in on it was a queenie which would have gone easily over a metre. I imagine a 30lb long tail would have given you a run for your money!

I was actually down at Yeppoon visiting family last weekend, first time I've been there in about 5 years. Drove up Farnborough Beach and soaked a few baits at Corio; no luck, but was an awesome day. I could definitely see myself moving back, funny how as a teenager I just wanted out of my hometown, but now I see it as an amazing place haha.

Quote from: basto on October 07, 2019, 08:35:00 PM
Nice find Andrew. My first spin reel was a Penn 711. I caught a 30lb long tail with it on a Nilsmaster lure at double heads at Yeppoon many years ago.
cheers
Greg

basto

Quote from: Ruffy on October 08, 2019, 02:47:25 AM
Cheers Basto! The right hand wind spinners are as rare as hens teeth now. I actually don't mind winding smaller spinners with my left though so now have collected a few of the 1st gen models which see use. I had a 710, best fish I pulled in on it was a queenie which would have gone easily over a metre. I imagine a 30lb long tail would have given you a run for your money!

I was actually down at Yeppoon visiting family last weekend, first time I've been there in about 5 years. Drove up Farnborough Beach and soaked a few baits at Corio; no luck, but was an awesome day. I could definitely see myself moving back, funny how as a teenager I just wanted out of my hometown, but now I see it as an amazing place haha.

Quote from: basto on October 07, 2019, 08:35:00 PM
cheers

Yes Andrew, I have lived in Yeppoon for 13 years now, but used to live here with mates before I got married.
Some of my old mates who grew up here are moving back.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n