Super Spool

Started by Rivverrat, September 12, 2017, 10:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I cant leave any thing alone for long.
I grabbed one of my rougher Super spools to take to the shop & see about milling out a bigger hole for a bigger diameter drag stack.
When I arrived I noticed this spool,  I think an earlier version had 4 screws in the bottom. I was aware of these being out there but didnt relize one of my reels had it. These spools are much different than the Super spools with out them. Not as much extra material to work with.

What in the world is the purpose of these 4 screws in the bottom of this Super spool. Maybe a bearing surface ? ...Jeff

mo65

If I remember right Jeff, I think they hold the two halves of the spool together.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Mike if your right I have to say I'm quite embarrassed once again by these Quicks....Jeff

swill88

I've got one super spool like that and a couple without the screws. Hope to get to them this weekend.

steve

Rivverrat

Well, Mike you were right...Jeff

mo65

Jeff, if you could...please post a pic of the drag stack from that spool. Mine only had one keyed metal washer! I think the resistex washer was missing, as there was room to add one. Curious to see what all belongs in there. 8)

foakes

This may also help some of you on the Supers --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Same thing in this one. I'll check & see if any of my other Supers have this style spool & take a look at the drag stack.
The drag recess on this split spool is not as deep or as big a diameter as the recess in the solid spools.

swill88

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 13, 2017, 12:32:09 AM
Same thing in this one. I'll check & see if any of my other Supers have this style spool & take a look at the drag stack.
The drag recess on this split spool is not as deep or as big a diameter as the recess in the solid spools.

It looks like there is no room for an eared washer.

Rivverrat

Quote from: swill88 on September 13, 2017, 12:36:57 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on September 13, 2017, 12:32:09 AM

I agree. There is not enough room for the stack shown in that schematic. The steel washer I have with this spool takes up well over 1/2 of the available space below the retainer clip.      

Rivverrat

Mike, a box on the front porch revealed 2 more Super reels
one of these reels had the split spool along with another I already had.
As you can see all 3 of my spools have just the single keyed washer.
I believe what may be going on here from inspection of the drag recess is that the friction washer is basically degrading over time to a powdery residue / sludge.

Rivverrat

While we are discussing spools let's look at the drag knobs. I've run into 3 variations. The pic shows what I believe are the most prominent 2.

The 2 bladed one is aluminum the triangular 3 blade is plastic. I "think" the 3 bladed is on the earlier versions.  The line counter supers I have all have the 3 blade.   They both seem to work well. They will swap out threads are the same. Though I prefer the aluminum ones... Dang! These are really cool O'l Reels!! ...Jeff

foakes

Yeah,

There are a lot of drag knobs for Quicks -- fortunately, even between many years -- most will still fit within the same model line.

Here are a few of the most commonly used drag knobs and crank knobs.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 13, 2017, 01:54:04 AM
Mike, a box on the front porch revealed 2 more Super reels
one of these reels had the split spool along with another I already had.
As you can see all 3 of my spools have just the single keyed washer.
I believe what may be going on here from inspection of the drag recess is that the friction washer is basically degrading over time to a powdery residue / sludge.

Wow...not what I was expecting here...I thought my spool was the odd duck!
All four spools with the same drag stack(or whatever you call a single washer in a hole!) pretty well tells the story. I agree there must have been a fiber washer of some sort under that keyed washer...surely it wouldn't rub metal on metal. A Quick resistex will fit behind the keyed washer, as that is what I used on mine. I can't help but believe a multi-disc drag would be a major improvement on these reels. Like you were saying, enlarge the diameter of the hole and add slots for "eared" washers...this reel would be a beast! 8)

mo65

Quote from: swill88 on September 13, 2017, 12:36:57 AM

Not to mention there isn't even any slots for an eared washer! I bet the spools that use the 3-stack have a better drag than this spool. :-\