Super Spool

Started by Rivverrat, September 12, 2017, 10:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Quote from: mo65 on September 13, 2017, 03:18:40 PM
Quote from: swill88 on September 13, 2017, 12:36:57 AM
It looks like there is no room for an eared washer.

Not to mention there isn't even any slots for an eared washer! I bet the spools that use the 3-stack have a better drag than this spool. :-\

Mike they do provide more, smoother drag based ongiving it a quick check amongst my reels. 

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 13, 2017, 11:31:21 PM
Mike they do provide more, smoother drag based on giving it a quick check amongst my reels. 

I knew they would, it only makes sense. I bet those spools with the 1 disk set up like mine were rough...metal on metal...since the friction disc was gone on them. Mine is smooth with the Resistex disc added, but it's not gonna develop the power of a 3-stack. I'd like to have my spool modified like you were saying, bored out for larger discs. There appears to be room. Can't wait to see how it works. 8)
   Pst...hey Fred...do you have any of the 3-stack style spools? Looks like I'm gonna need one.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

swill88

Quote from: mo65 on September 14, 2017, 01:03:05 AM

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 13, 2017, 11:31:21 PM
Mike they do provide more, smoother drag based on giving it a quick check amongst my reels. 

I knew they would, it only makes sense. I bet those spools with the 1 disk set up like mine were rough...metal on metal...since the friction disc was gone on them. Mine is smooth with the Resistex disc added, but it's not gonna develop the power of a 3-stack. I'd like to have my spool modified like you were saying, bored out for larger discs. There appears to be room. Can't wait to see how it works. 8)
   Pst...hey Fred...do you have any of the 3-stack style spools? Looks like I'm gonna need one.

Mike, I have no doubt Fred has that spool. I have 3 of the multi-disk-drag spools and will gladly trade one for your single disk spool.

Also, the Quick 550 spool fits the 270. The 2 that I have are plastic but they have a huge 'well' and can easily hold more drag disks.  Hmmm...

Just sent a set of 270 disks to Adam to cut the 0.31" titanium drags that Sheridan had cut. I think a 5 stack may fit with 0.5mm CF. Adam might be washed in Irma. Georgia.

Sorry to hijack ... I'll start a new thread in a bit. 

Love those Dam open faced reels!

steve

mo65

Quote from: swill88 on September 14, 2017, 01:29:57 AM

Mike, I have no doubt Fred has that spool. I have 3 of the multi-disk-drag spools and will gladly trade one for your single disk spool.

Also, the Quick 550 spool fits the 270. The 2 that I have are plastic but they have a huge 'well' and can easily hold more drag disks.  Hmmm...

Just sent a set of 270 disks to Adam to cut the 0.31" titanium drags that Sheridan had cut. I think a 5 stack may fit with 0.5mm CF. Adam might be washed in Irma. Georgia.

Wow Steve, these are some interesting points you bring up. Thanks for the enlightenment! 8)

Rivverrat

Steve, a 5 stack would be real nice. Not that I would use all the drag it could produce but it would be smoother at the drag range I do use. would'nt take as much adjustment for a bit more drag when needed with fish on.

Mike,  a friend of mine who is semi retired & spends most of his spare time fishing all over the world, knows reels inside out, agrees with what Fred told me, that these Supers will handle 50 lb. line & appropriate drag. I've no reason to push mine past 30 -40. 15 lbs. of smooth drag from them & I will be extremely happy.    Have other reels better suited for line past that ponit....Jeff    

swill88

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 14, 2017, 01:51:27 AM
Steve, a 5 stack would be real nice. Not that I would use all the drag it could produce but it would be smoother at the drag range I do use. would'nt take as much adjustment for a bit more drag when needed with fish on.

Mike,  a friend of mine who is semi retired & spends most of his spare time fishing all over the world, knows reels inside out, agrees with what Fred told me, that these Supers will handle 50 lb. line & appropriate drag. I've no reason to push mine past 30 -40. 15 lbs. of smooth drag from them & I will be extremely happy.    Have other reels better suited for line past that ponit....Jeff    

I'm going to try 60# with close to 15# drag.

We will see

steve

Rivverrat

Quote from: swill88 on September 14, 2017, 02:22:03 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on September 14, 2017, 01:51:27 AM

I'm going to try 60# with close to 15# drag.

We will see

steve

Oh Ya..... I fish a lot of my reels with line heavier than what the drag range will reach. 2 reasons, well 3.
I fish primarly for big catfish.
Heavier line is more abrasion resistant.
The concern with this one of course being as line comes off the spool drag increases. With heavier line I dont have to worry about my  drag setting as much when a fish hits at the end of a super long cast or when they pull a bit of line out....Jeff 

foakes

Quote from: mo65 on September 14, 2017, 01:03:05 AM

I'll be going through my inventory of Supers over the next few days, Mike.

I am putting together an order for Jeff on some parts -- so I will check spool possibilities and variations for you, also.

Just need to count the number of Supers -- around 30-40, maybe -- then make sure there are enough spools for the good reels -- and see what is left out of the loose spools.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on September 14, 2017, 03:39:10 AM
I'll be going through my inventory of Supers over the next few days, Mike.

No hurry Fred...I'm going to wait and see how Jeff and Steve's modifications go...and will probably mod my spool based on their research. Actually, my spool's drag ended up very smooth with a teflon washer under the spool and that single resistex inside...but...it's topping out around 10-12lbs. That's fine for the most part...but again...we all love a little extra horsepower! ;D

Rivverrat

Mike, I've had to put thid mod on the back burner for few days. I've got gun stuff to get caught up on.  However what I'm leaning towards right now is figuring out a mod for the drag that takes very little or no milling on the reel.
My thoughts are most of us would be happy with a "fishable" 15 lbs. of drag from these Supers. You agree with that ? 

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 14, 2017, 03:55:58 PM
My thoughts are most of us would be happy with a "fishable" 15 lbs. of drag from these Supers. You agree with that ? 

My thoughts exactly Jeff. 8)

foakes

Here is a look at the quality of Adam's work on these CF's, keyed, and eared SS washers.

First class, as usual.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

OK, when can I get a set ?
If they work which I don't see being an issue I will need 12 sets... Jeff

Swami805

Hey Jeff, When Fred 's done with my 2 speed you're welcome to whatever is left of the drag washers. Not sure what that will be but  they might be useful. 
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rivverrat

Hey I appreciate that...Jeff