Super Spool

Started by Rivverrat, September 12, 2017, 10:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

Fred, I wouldnt get too excited just yet. Those washers are grade 5 titanium.  At a minimum, the washers with the tab on the inside will need to be filed to a sharp corner. Id recommend fresh quality files, and nothing chinese.  I use Nicholson files, and the made in mexico ones are perfectly fine.  Typical home depot/lowes files wont last long on these washers though. 

With all the interest these seem to be gathering, it looks like Ill be doing a production run.  I will put a sign-up thread in my section this weekend and keep it open for 2 weeks, give or take, to get an idea of how many I should have cut.

Rivverrat

I Got files that will get rid of any thing  thats not proper for a working part ;D ;D

handyandy

Quote from: Three se7ens on September 16, 2017, 03:47:48 AM
Fred, I wouldnt get too excited just yet. Those washers are grade 5 titanium.  At a minimum, the washers with the tab on the inside will need to be filed to a sharp corner. Id recommend fresh quality files, and nothing chinese.  I use Nicholson files, and the made in mexico ones are perfectly fine.  Typical home depot/lowes files wont last long on these washers though. 

With all the interest these seem to be gathering, it looks like Ill be doing a production run.  I will put a sign-up thread in my section this weekend and keep it open for 2 weeks, give or take, to get an idea of how many I should have cut.

Sorry if this seems stupid but what section is your section? I'd be very interested in some of the washers or even these early ones that require some filing. I was going to lap down some of the factory chrome over brass ones but these would hold up much better.

handyandy

Quote from: foakes on September 14, 2017, 03:39:10 AM
Quote from: mo65 on September 14, 2017, 01:03:05 AM

Pst...hey Fred...do you have any of the 3-stack style spools? Looks like I'm gonna need one.

I'll be going through my inventory of Supers over the next few days, Mike.

I am putting together an order for Jeff on some parts -- so I will check spool possibilities and variations for you, also.

Fred if you end up with any supers that you don't deem ones being fit to rebuild/use I gladly buy one off you for back up parts to mine, that and my single speed I still need to track down a donor for the rotor.

Just need to count the number of Supers -- around 30-40, maybe -- then make sure there are enough spools for the good reels -- and see what is left out of the loose spools.

Best,

Fred

foakes

Probably won't have time until tomorrow to check, Andy --

It takes a couple of hours to go through reels, spools, parts, and pieces in 5 locations.

Today starts a 90 day stretch of cutting, hauling, clearing, splitting firewood -- because the weather is favorably colder now.  Was 44 last night

Goal is to work 4 or 5 hours a day pretty hard -- five days a week -- then keep up with reels, Church, family, Life in general.

10 days before Christmas -- hope to stop for another month or so.

This tree mortality deal has taken a 3 year chunk out of our lives -- nearly 2 down and 1 to go.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handyandy

no rush Fred, and not sure why I had a double post with one just having the quote not sure how I managed to do that.

Three se7ens

Quote from: handyandy on September 18, 2017, 05:00:52 PM
Quote from: Three se7ens on September 16, 2017, 03:47:48 AM

Sorry if this seems stupid but what section is your section? I'd be very interested in some of the washers or even these early ones that require some filing. I was going to lap down some of the factory chrome over brass ones but these would hold up much better.

http://alantani.com/index.php?board=77.0

Three se7ens

The post is up in my section for the new washers/drag kit.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22913.0

Ruffy

Hi guys,
How do the plastic 550 spools hold up? I've picked up a really tidy example, I didn't need it at all but will now line it up next to my 704. Just wondering if the plastic spools will take 15lb of drag? I'd be doing similar to others here with their 270 spools, using 50-60lb braid and fishing it at 12-15lb.

Cheers,
Andrew

Rivverrat

I've  only a little experience with the Quick plastic spools using
40 & 50 line.
So far they have done well. I do release all tension on the line when stored & have since gone to using only a 10' mono top shot
Attached to braid. I think braid may be better on these plastic spools... Jeff

Ruffy

Great, I've got nothing to lose so will use it until something untoward happens!