Shimano Trinidad tn14 repair question

Started by sebastianh8, May 25, 2020, 08:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebastianh8

Hi everyone,
This is my first time posting on this website, but I have a reel issue that I can't seem to fix. Earlier this year, my sand spike holding my Trinidad 14 gold get swept away in the surf, and my reel went for a swim. I recovered it, brought it home and took every part out of the reel that I am able to remove. Got all the sand and salt out and put it together, and everything looked fine. But, when I went to put the spool into the reel, I had to use a good amount of pressure to fit it in, and it seems that it is rubbing against the side of the reel a lot more than it should be. Because of this, it feels like it's taking a good bit of pressure when I am turning the handle. Everything else still works (freespool, drag, etc.) but I know I shouldn't need as much force to turn the handle. When I take the right side plate off, I can see that the spool is pushing up the yoke and pinion bearing, but I'm not sure how to fix this. I also took my tn16 apart for comparison, and everything else looked the same except for the raised up yoke. I know it's a bit tough to see in the pictures, but the yoke on my tn14 is raised above where it should sit, and only about half of the pinion gear makes contact with the main gear, as opposed to my tn16, where the pinion sits flush against the main gear. I know I could just drop it off at Shimano as I live near their Irvine location, but their turnaround is a few weeks and I was hoping to fish my reel at Catalina this week  :).  If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated!

Cor

If the spool is pushing up then I think you need to look on the opposite sideplate, maybe a grain of sand under (spacer B).  Perhaps your spool pin is not fitting properly in the pinion slot if its not 100% centered.

Difficult to see from a photo but for sure someone will come up with the answer.

Good luck
Cornelis

Bryan Young

Pull the spool out long with the pinion gear and made sure the pinion gear will slide easily on the spool shaft and lock with the spool shaft easily.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D