Penn 10 Mag - cut down

Started by mhc, September 17, 2017, 11:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

I have started a project to remove the level wind of a Mag 10 and cut down the side plates to make it more compact by removing the area taken up by the level wind and lifting the stand closer to the spool. I didn't have a Mag 10 to work with until Sal (Alto Mare) generously donated a reel that Harry had given him - thanks again Sal and Harry.

The Mag 10 stand and posts are ~46 mm wide and the rings are ~ 0.75 mm x 2 - total distance between side plates ~ 47.5 mm. I needed to make new shape 'rings' anyway and I used 3 mm plate with a 41.5 mm 3-49 stand to equal ~47.5 mm between the plates. This also allowed me to use 501 spacer bars for the frame.

First up was to mark the 3 mm plate with new diameter and the inner diameter of the rings, I then drilled a 10.5 mm hole in the centre and used and old gear sleeve to hold the plates on or the 'rings' together when transferring frame hole locations etc;

Then drilled and tapped three holes in the middle section to hold the 'rings' or frame sides together;

By moving the stand up to the spool, the reel was tilted forward and moved the eccentric lever forward as well. I rotated the stand location anti-clockwise to bring the lever back to somewhere near to where it was ( I hope) Marked and drilled holes for the stand and spacer bars and tested the fit;

Screwed the frame sides together and roughly shaped them;

Another test fit and starting to take shape;

Then used the shaped frame sides to start modifying the side plates;

And showing how much was removed from the tail plate;

It's not clear in the above photo, but the new frame plate extended past the side plate (top left) To cover this I added a piece of bakelite where the spacer screw is and cut the frame down to match the side plate in between the screw locations. I also cut a few pieces of bakelite to fill the holes left by the level wind mechanism, and used PC-7 epoxy to attach them and fill smaller voids.

The bakelite pieces;

and with the epoxy;

While the epoxy is curing I started drilling and filing the hole for the spool;

I stopped close to where it should be until the side plates are fully cured and cleaned up a bit and I can start test fitting as I go;

It will be a week or so before I can get back to this - so I thought I should post what I have done so far while I remember.

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Mike, as usual it's shaping up to be a great thread, can't wait to see more.
How do you manage to cut that plate so perfect?

Keep it coming...

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Stickies. This is going to be another interesting creation.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cor

Wow, quite a project, one I have never thought of tackling!
Waiting to see how this ends.
Cornelis

Bill B

Well he did it again  ;)

It amazes me how when doing a custom piece it goes from a clean and neat piece of material, to a messy "ain't never gonna work" piece to "Wow what an incredible piece"  I will be following this fr sure....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oc1

Really nice work Mike.  Can't wait to see more.
-steve

Bryan Young

Hey Mike, may I delete your WTB Mag 10 request?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

This will be really cool.
Another reel this needs to be done to is the 320GTi, a 5:1 open top squidder more available that a Newell or Pro Gear would be great.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mhc

Thanks for the kind words guys, I hope it turns out as well as expected.

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 17, 2017, 01:27:04 PM
Mike, as usual it's shaping up to be a great thread, can't wait to see more.
How do you manage to cut that plate so perfect?

Keep it coming...

Sal

Thanks again Sal, the side plates were ground down with a bench grinder and belt sander, and used continuous movement to avoid flat spots - I do it in the open and wear a dust mask.

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 17, 2017, 08:47:50 PM
Hey Mike, may I delete your WTB Mag 10 request?

Sure Bryan, and thanks for the sticky!

Alto Mare

Thanks Mike, I was refferring to the fifth pic down from the top, that one appears that it hasn't been hit with the grinder and yet the cut is perfect.
I could be wrong, you probably did grind it already...either way, nice job so far!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Got it! - I thought you meant the bakelite plates - the metal ones in the fifth photo have been ground, with the plate held flat on the guide, leaving a burr on the bottom side that you can see.
Mike

mo65

Wow...this is a heavy duty project...great work! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Can't wait to see the finished product!   I have a bunch of 10's to fish with my wife and kids.  They are great for shallow bottom-fishing with the benefit of the 4:1 retrieve.  Hot-rodded they have potential for being palm-sized powerhouses.

Decker

This is a little hard for me to follow...  Are the aluminum plates just a jig for working on the plastic side-plates, or will the aluminum replace the plastic?

If this project is the building of a prototype that could be mass-produced as an upgrade, I'm very excited!

Bill B

I dont mean to speak for him, but looks like he is re-profiling the side plates to eliminate the level wind and reduce the overall diameter.  By adding the 3mm plates and removing the original inside chrome plates he will be changing to a stronger, narrowed stand and using the much stronger 501 narrow solid spacer bars in lieu of the original round posts.  In the end he will end up with a stronger reel in a more compact size, as compared to the original Mag 10.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!