Penn 10 Mag - cut down

Started by mhc, September 17, 2017, 11:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

This is exciting stuff!   Great work!    Maybe one day someone will produce an upgrade kit for the Mag 10  ::)

Go out there and catch some ridiculously large fish on that little beast!!!

mo65

Quote from: mhc on October 04, 2017, 12:21:03 PM
I am going to blame Mo65 for this project and the proposed 210 project  ;D ;D I wasn't thinking about these reels until I read his enthusiastic threads about his Mag 10 and 210 'hop ups'

I'm so glad to see these reels getting attention. I stopped pining for a 4:1 Squidder once I realized, in the Mag 10, I already had one! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Inspirational. You have the idea/plan, tool skills and patience to keep fitting stuff gradually. All 3 a these I need to work on. As Sal said "keep it coming".
Gfsih
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jigmaster501

We are on to something here..... This looks fun Mike....

Maybe Tom could carve sideplates out of delrin blocks or something and we can start something new...

Eugene

mhc

I've double dogged the bridge and tidied up the side plates - still haven't decided on a finish for the plates, I might even leave them as they are for a working reel  :-\

I drilled the hole in the bridge where the magnet was mounted to 1/8" to install a post for the second dog - the location is a little close to the main gear but I didn't want to put another hole close to it. The first attempt was OK but the spring on the second dog tended to tilt the dog upwards on the side away from the gear;

It sort of worked with the gear in place but didn't engage occasionally. I moved the spring post further from the post and shortened the dog a bit. Because I was more or less tied in to the post locations I used one of Tom's Cortez Conversions 98-155 9 tooth gear sleeves, not so much for extra strength but the tooth pattern worked better for alternating dogs.

And with the gear in place;

It works well now even without the gear in place. To make room for the spring I needed to remove a small area of the side plate near the bridge screw hole on the right in the photo;

I didn't mention earlier the reel I started with had the head plate spool bearing replaced with a magnet drilled to suit the spool shaft. It's an interesting concept although I'm not sure how well the magnet or the spool shaft would stand up to wear. I ordered a replacement bearing but will also try the 'mag-bearing' when I'm finished to see how it goes with cast control.
Mag-bearing on the right;

To clean up the side plates and rings I screwed them together and used a combination of dremel and belt sander;

Sorry to drag this out for so long but I'm pretty close to having it ready to be spooled - just finish off an eccentric lever I've made and mount some magnets.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Tiddlerbasher

Bryan Young

Looks amazing and love the progress report.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

Coming along great Mike. Have you decided on a drag stack yet? Just curious because Brian's 5 stack fit in mine...but it was very close to having the top eared washer poking over the gear's rim. I ended up using a 4 stack...a stock 3 stack with Bryan's under gear set. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Fare chance Mike will make his drag set, don't worry about it dragging on for to long mike, its all very interesting, just keep it coming, your detail of finnish is really good, thanks for posting, keep well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bill B

Outstanding Mike....take all the time you need...we will be patiently waiting your next installment....Good Job brother....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

Is that the same drag kit as a squidder?  If so, Mike, send me an PM with your address and I'll send you a kit, gratis. The awesome machine cannot be without Drags to match.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mhc

Thanks again guys, and thanks for your patience.

Quote from: mo65 on October 21, 2017, 02:53:27 PM
  ... Have you decided on a drag stack yet?  
I did consider using an under gear set for a 4 stack like you did Mo but I don't think I could fit a 98-60 sleeve in with two dogs and like you said in your Mag 10 post - I not sure there would be enough support for the metal washer using the 98-155 sleeve.  :-\  

Donnyboat is right, I do cut my own carbon or delrin washers sometimes, but making thin metal washers like those in Bryan Young's kits are a bit beyond me - I've got some 0.5mm 316 SS sheet but find it's hard to keep it flat when cutting and filing the washers.

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 22, 2017, 03:41:47 AM
Is that the same drag kit as a squidder?  If so, Mike, send me an PM with your address and I'll send you a kit, gratis. The awesome machine cannot be without Drags to match.

Thanks Bryan! The 5-10 does use the same drags as the squidder - I'll send a PM.

mhc

A quick update, including photos of the reel fully assembled for the first time.

To attach a magnetic piece of galvanized iron to hold the magnet(s) I used the threaded insert where the level wind gear was attached to the tail plate;

The assembled reel (including the eccentric lever made from 316 SS);

The screw I used to attach the galvanized plate was a tad too long - it popped a piece of side plate out. I've shortened the screw and will epoxy the piece of plate back in when I give the galvanized plate a coat of epoxy to protect it. The photo below shows the piece missing near the bearing cover;

Mechanically, the reel has turned out as well as I had hoped - it's free spinning with heaps of free spool, I think it will need more than one magnet for my casting skills.

Mike

Tiddlerbasher

Lovely job Mike. When choosing magnets go for the neodymium in N42 or N52 grade - they are much stronger than the more common N35. I have found that the best effect came from pairs of magnets alternating N and S. Ultimately it's more about how close they are to the spool for the greatest breaking effect. Shims or stacking 1 or 2mm magnets has also worked for me. I know you will come up with something that works ;)