Penn 10 Mag - cut down

Started by mhc, September 17, 2017, 11:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Thanks Chris, I've got a stack of 7mm dia x 2mm thick N52 I bought a little while ago - I'll play around with spacing and stacking them to get closer to the spool and let you know how it goes.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Simply amazing Mike, you have some serious skills.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on October 21, 2017, 02:53:27 PM
   Coming along great Mike. Have you decided on a drag stack yet? Just curious because Brian's 5 stack fit in mine...but it was very close to having the top eared washer poking over the gear's rim. I ended up using a 4 stack...a stock 3 stack with Bryan's under gear set. 8)
Try both ways Mo, I could pretty much bet you'll hand up with the same numbers on the drag, but a smoother reel if you use a Delrin under the gear.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 22, 2017, 01:12:11 PM
Try both ways Mo, I could pretty much bet you'll hand up with the same numbers on the drag, but a smoother reel if you use a Delrin under the gear.
Sal

Normally, that's what I'd use, a Delrin under a 5-stack, but this reel's main gear is not as deep as the #5-60. The 5-stack is border line of having that top eared washer popping out. The 4-stack is the ticket here, and it is surprisingly smooth. The carbontex spinning under the gear seems to feel just like the ones spinning inside it. It's actually been a good alternative set up for several reels I've done. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on October 22, 2017, 11:05:18 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on October 22, 2017, 01:12:11 PM
Sal

Normally, that's what I'd use, a Delrin under a 5-stack, but this reel's main gear is not as deep as the #5-60. The 5-stack is border line of having that top eared washer popping out. The 4-stack is the ticket here, and it is surprisingly smooth. The carbontex spinning under the gear seems to feel just like the ones spinning inside it. It's actually been a good alternative set up for several reels I've done. 8)
Unless you have a gear sleeve with the flats going all the way down to the gear ratchet , I don't see that carbon fiber washer being able to add any additional drag, maybe a little more roughness, but it might be just me  :-\. I have a couple of these 10's and I know the metal keyed washer, along with the carbon fiber washer for under the gear won't fit on these. I guess you could make it work if you had to.

Sal

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 22, 2017, 11:19:50 PM
Unless you have a gear sleeve with the flats going all the way down to the gear ratchet , I don't see that carbon fiber washer being able to add any additional drag, maybe a little more roughness, but it might be just me  :-\. I have a couple of these 10's and I know the metal keyed washer, along with the carbon fiber washer for under the gear won't fit on these. I guess you could make it work if you had to.

Correct, you'll need the sleeve with flats going to the ratchet. A stock Penn gear sleeve won't work. I'd have to check my Mag 10 thread here...but I think the sleeve was one of Alan's...I got it from Scott's. Unless the bottom ss washer can lock into the flats the whole principal is useless. 8)

mhc

I don't want to join the old delrin or carbon under gear washer debate  ;D - but I did sort of put a fence sitting combination of delrin with one of Bryan / Alan's under gear washers on a 98-155 sleeve when I triple dogged a jigmaster bridge. I filed the flats down on one of Tom's 9 tooth sleeves and put the keyed washer on to cover the dogs and keep them away from the delrin washer.

I borrowed the filed sleeve out of the jigmaster for this cut down Mag 10 to keep things going until the new sleeves I've ordered from Tom get here.

Mike 

mhc

Another quick update - Bryan's drag kit has turned up, thanks again Bryan! - as well as a Cortez Conversion 98-155 sleeve I had ordered to replace the one with the extended flats I had borrowed from another reel.
I used epoxy to glue in the small piece of the side plate forced out when I over tightened the screw holding the magnet plate in place;

I gave the galvanized magnet plate a thin coat of epoxy and swapped the bulky plastic clicked spring for a thinner brass spring to make a little more room for up to three magnets if needed;

Bryan's five stack drag kit on the right;

I installed the drags and found the second eared washed was just inside the gear, just as Mo had described when he installed the kit in one of his mag 10's. The following photo is after 'thumb' pressure on the stack and the washers will settle a bit more when the drag is tightened;   

Like Mo said, it would more than likely be OK but I decided to put a slight downwards bend in the ears to be sure they stay in contact with the grooves in the gear. To keep the thin washer flat, I put the body of the washer in a smooth jawed vice and gently tapped the ear using a flat screw driver and hammer;

and with the stack in place;

I still haven't come up with a finish for the plates but in the meantime it is now ready to fish - I've spooled it with 50 lb platypus platinum braid and will put a 30 or 40 lb leader on depending on where I first use it.

Mike

Alto Mare

What a reel you have created Mike, truly one of a kind.
Let us know how it handles on field testing.
Thanks for sharing your ideas with us.

Cheers,

Sal

mo65

Quote from: mhc on November 25, 2017, 12:52:40 PM
Like Mo said, it would more than likely be OK but I decided to put a slight downwards bend in the ears to be sure they stay in contact with the grooves in the gear. To keep the thin washer flat, I put the body of the washer in a smooth jawed vice and gently tapped the ear using a flat screw driver and hammer.

Great idea Mike! I never thought of putting a downward bend in those ears, that should be just enough to eliminate the worry of popping over the gear when the drags are backed off. You'll still want to be careful with that 5-stack though...I believe it can develop enough power to stress the gears if ya really cranked 'er down. 8)

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Quote from: mo65 on November 25, 2017, 02:50:36 PM
Quote from: mhc on November 25, 2017, 12:52:40 PM
Like Mo said, it would more than likely be OK but I decided to put a slight downwards bend in the ears to be sure they stay in contact with the grooves in the gear. To keep the thin washer flat, I put the body of the washer in a smooth jawed vice and gently tapped the ear using a flat screw driver and hammer.

Great idea Mike! I never thought of putting a downward bend in those ears, that should be just enough to eliminate the worry of popping over the gear when the drags are backed off. You'll still want to be careful with that 5-stack though...I believe it can develop enough power to stress the gears if ya really cranked 'er down. 8)

I've bent the ears down on a few.  A trick I learned by servicing Shimano reels. 

Looks like Mike had steel gears.  There should be any problems with whatever drag he can get out of the stack.  The brass gears should be fine as well as the teeth in those tiny gear sets are thick.

Mike, great job.  I'm so amazed, and you're welcome.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oc1

Good going Mike.  I don't know what type of finish you have in mind but you might check out Simichrome polish.
-steve

redsetta

Great work Mike - I always look forward to your updates
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

David Hall

Wow, fantastic, awesome, tell the truth, you never colored inside the lines when you were a kid did you.