Older Abu Garcia Info Needed

Started by Rivverrat, September 18, 2017, 12:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Quote from: FatTuna on September 19, 2017, 05:02:07 AM
That first reel is crazy. I've never seen anything like it. How does it work?

The spool is long and tapered to achieve more distance in tournament casting. Distance spinning competition is done with a 5/8 ounce casting plug. The minimum allowable line diameter is 10/1000 inch (.01), basically ultra fine thread. As an example, 2# Silver Thread is 125/1000 (.125). The line used is so light and thin that a heavier "shock" leader is used so that the casting weight doesn't break the line at the release. After the cast is made the competitor and an official walk to the spot where the casting weight landed to measure the distance. The competitor reels line as they walk because the line will break if there is any drag resistance from the ground. The adjustable line pickups are set to evenly lay line on each tier of the spool so that the least resistance and maximum casting distance can be achieved. Minimum resistance is also important in accuracy competition, so the same type of reel/spool can be used in accuracy events. During the walk and retrieve, when one tier of the spool has reached it's optimum line fill, the line is manually moved to the other pickup to fill that tier. Casting is not unlike any PUM cast, manually lay the line on your index finger and "fling" away.  :D       
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Tommy, you have totally outdone yourself.  Your reel pics & explanations may be the most interesting thing I've read about reels in awhile.

I notice, now, that your picture on your posts shows you holding what appears to be this reel.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Quote from: happyhooker on September 19, 2017, 08:24:01 PM
Tommy, you have totally outdone yourself.  Your reel pics & explanations may be the most interesting thing I've read about reels in awhile.

I notice, now, that your picture on your posts shows you holding what appears to be this reel.

Frank

Well, thank you, Frank! I've got a few different versions of those pre-Cardinals that I may put together for a group photo. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Rivverrat

Quote from: Midway Tommy on September 19, 2017, 10:58:57 PM
Quote from: happyhooker on September 19, 2017, 08:24:01 PM

Frank

Well, thank you, Frank! I've got a few different versions of those pre-Cardinals that I may put together for a group photo. 
I'm impaitently waiting for this

Midway Tommy

[/quote] Well, thank you, Frank! I've got a few different versions of those pre-Cardinals that I may put together for a group photo. 
[/quote]
I'm impaitently waiting for this
[/quote]

Bottom row from left to right: ABU 444 Pearl Blue 3rd Version 1956, ABU Garcia Pearl Blue 1st version 1956, ABU Garcia Black w/ Tan cup 3rd version Tournament 1964, ABU Garcia Pearl Blue 1st version 1956, ABU Garcia Black w/ Tan cup 3rd version 1959.
Top row from left to right: ABU 444 Black w/ Tan cup 5th version 1958, ABU 444-A Green w/ Cream cup 1st version 1966, ABU 444-A Green w/ Cream cup 2nd version 1971, ABU 333 Dark Gray Hammertone w/ Light Gray Hammertone cup 1967.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Rivverrat

Wow ! Thanks for posting this....Jeff

Tightlines667

Wow!

That is an impressive grouping there.  Your own personal museum.

Thanks for sharing!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Impressive collection, Tommy

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Thanks, guys! I love older ABU made spinners!

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

happyhooker

Ditto, what Monsieur Tightlines666 said!

Frank

oc1

How long you been doing this Tommy?  Your level of depth and detail is always impressive.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on September 21, 2017, 08:51:07 AM
How long you been doing this Tommy?  Your level of depth and detail is always impressive.
-steve

Sometimes it seems like forever.  ;) Seriously, ,though, for about 20 years via the www. I still have my 1st open face, a G M 304, that I got in the mid '60s. I broke the main gear handle shaft off in '70 & bought a new Cardinal 6 and have been accumulating Cardinals ever since. Expanded my user arsenal quite a bit in the late '70s - early '80s and dove into the serious collecting side of them in the mid/late '90s. Luckily I had the best spinning reel mentor out there, who also ended up being a good friend, Ben Wright. Ben unselfishly tutored me and shared so much information it is almost mind boggling. I owe him a lot for the knowledge he shared, but I also read and do a lot of research, too.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

Tommy --

Do you need a new gear handle shaft, or handle for that old Mitchell 304?

If so, I will send them out.

N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on September 21, 2017, 06:02:07 PM
Tommy --

Do you need a new gear handle shaft, or handle for that old Mitchell 304?

If so, I will send them out.

N/C.

Best,

Fred

No, but thank you very  much, Fred!

A few years back I saw one on the 'Bay for a couple bucks & practically no shipping so I nabbed it & fixed that little sucker. Believe it or not I've got it on an old fiberglass Wonderod with the old braided nylon 12# test spinning line on it so when I feel nostalgic I take it out for eater channel cat creek fishing. Drop the bait about 24 - 30" deep from a 3/4" r&w bobber, cast it out up stream into the current and let it float down along the opposite bank keeping a fairly tight line, similar to trout fly fishing. Those cats are back under the ledges and in holes along the bank. It's a killer system! Been doing it for 50 years. I love creek fishing clean water NE creeks for catfish that way!

Thanks for the offer, Fred! 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Jim Fujitani

My first spinning reel was also a GM 304 design, but I seem to recall it being called a GM "CAP".  It was a hand-me-down reel, with a hand-me-down rod, a light green Shakespeare Wonderod, in the late 50's early 60's. 

I looked for the rod and reel when my mom and dad moved, and when my dad passed.  I couldn't find it.  I figure that it got handed down in the late 70's early 80's, when my dad started taking my nephew trout fishing.