Older Abu Garcia Info Needed

Started by Rivverrat, September 18, 2017, 12:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

My first spinning reel was also a 304.  That would have been about '63.  I was saving up for a 300 but became impatient and bought the 304 because it was a few bucks less.  I have no recollection of what happened to it.  Picked up another 304 a year ago because they are now cheap as chips and nostalgic.  After fooling around with ultralite spinners the 304 seems enormous, especially the spool.  Funny, because most things from our childhood seem smaller when revisited later.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Yeah, the rotor does seem a little big, but interestingly enough, they are still pretty light, all things considered. I grab one now and it almost feels like a toy.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Mighta figured; Ben Wright; (don't/didn't know him, but have heard of him), that you, Tommy, & him would be bros.

Frank

Kalle

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 18, 2017, 12:07:56 AM
Any info on this reel would have appreciated. It's my dad's he doesn't remember much about it.

Though I remember some nice channel cats caught with it using very thin line....Jeff

Hello here is some information about the man who invented the rear drag system for Abu 444 and older Cardinals, including patents I searched out, please scroll down, and this site gives also alot of information about the older ABU stuff, regards Kalle

http://www.realsreels.com/ABURecordreelmodelspatentdrawings.html

foakes

Welcome aboard Kalle from Estonia --

Introduce yourself to the site when you get a chance.

We would enjoy knowing about your country, and your fishing interests.

Best Regards,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

Were you and Nurmse related Kalle?
-steve

happyhooker

Welcome, Kalle, from chilly (-13 degrees this AM) Minnesota.

You've dived in to one of the more interesting topics on this forum for the latter part of 2017.

Frank