Penn 500 left handed gear sleeve

Started by mikeysm, September 25, 2017, 01:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

Alan do you have any penn 500 left handed gear sleeves.

Mike

alantani

i have five of the 98-505 left handed gear sleeves.  they take a left handed star that i do not have.  send a pm and let me know if this helps. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mikeysm

Alan left handed fine or coarse thread?

Mike

alantani

mikeysm

Alan is there a part number for the fine thread star drag. For the left handed reel

RowdyW

Penn Parts only lists a righthanded star wheel 10-505. They list a lefthanded star for a coarse threaded sleeve 10-60LH. Coarse lefthanded gear sleeve (brass) 86-60LH. I don't think a lefthanded 505 or 506 was ever built by Penn, only 500 & 501.

alantani

mike, hold off on that check.  a fine thread left handed gear sleeve is useless unless there is a fine thread left handed star.  i do have some coarse threaded left handed 10-60 stars, but no coarse thread left handed gear sleeves. 

mikeysm

I was wondering about that Alan. I can make one Alan but I would rather not. I will get my first day off since July first on friday. So I am out of steam. Just had a power failure 30 minutes ago. My first at this new job. Boilers back on line and everthing back to normal.

mikeysm

I am having a problem finding a left handed 13/32-32 tap. That what I need to make the star for the sleeve you sold me. It seems no one makes one. I have the right handed ones but no left.

Mike

mikeysm

Does anyone know where I can get a custom made tap. 13/32-32 Left Handed tap. This will have to made special no one make one.

Mike

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: mikeysm on September 27, 2017, 04:39:42 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a custom made tap. 13/32-32 Left Handed tap. This will have to made special no one make one.

Mike

Mike,

I'll answer your PM here to save time. I usually single point funky threads like that. Taps can be made, but they are usually cost prohibitive...
I haven't had a custom tap made in years, sorry.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

mikeysm

That kind of hard to do with drag stars though. No way to mount it in the lathe chuck. I was planing to have them laser cut. So a tap would be better. I'm only making a few so it hard to justify. Maybe I will have to send the gear sleeve back to Alan. They should have made them course thread. I can find the star online for that thread type. Fine thread no such animal.

RowdyW

How about having the star lazer cut round then bore the thread, then have it lazer cut again to the shape you want for the star.    ;D       Rudy

mikeysm

If i have it done it goes by the sheet. I will need to make allot to keep the cost down. And make right hand ones to defer the cost. It's to expensive to do one at a time. It's just not cost effective. If you owned a laser cutter you could make money doing it because you own the machine. But they want a arm and a leg to do it for someone else.

RowdyW

Check with Bryan or Keta, maybe they can slip in an extra piece to cut when they are having their stuff cut.