Penn 500 left handed gear sleeve

Started by mikeysm, September 25, 2017, 01:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: mikeysm on September 28, 2017, 12:36:51 AM
That kind of hard to do with drag stars though. No way to mount it in the lathe chuck. I was planing to have them laser cut. So a tap would be better. I'm only making a few so it hard to justify. Maybe I will have to send the gear sleeve back to Alan. They should have made them course thread. I can find the star online for that thread type. Fine thread no such animal.

Add a bolt hole pattern on the star. You will be able to fixture the star that way.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

mikeysm

RowdyW

mikeysm

I will settle for a brass gear sleeve. And a stock star. It will be a whole lot cheaper. Alan forgot to say the sleeve was useless until after the fact. But he will take it back no problem. He has 5 left handed that are paper weights until stars are made. I can make stainless sleeves cheaper with the coarse thread cheaper than making the stars.

alantani

actually, just keep it.  it won't do me any good.  it's not even worth the cost of postage.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mikeysm

At this point alan your right. It's like having a lock without the key.

Mike

mikeysm

Hold on Alan I can have a tap made for $105.00 per tap. That isn't to bad that as good as it gets. I thought it would be hard to get but I can order it in Modesto. It's made in Illinois one day turn arround and shipped.

Mike

Tightlines667

Quote from: mikeysm on September 28, 2017, 05:30:07 PM
Hold on Alan I can have a tap made for $105.00 per tap. That isn't to bad that as good as it gets. I thought it would be hard to get but I can order it in Modesto. It's made in Illinois one day turn arround and shipped.

Mike

You probably already know, but as a reminder...

It needs to be a buttress thread.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

actually, these are not.  the 6/0 gear sleeve is a buttress  thread for sure, but not these.  i just took a look and they are plain sawtooth. 

and mike, do you really want to spend a hundred dollars just for this?  i'm not sure there is much of a market for a left handed jigmaster gear sleeve and star set.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mikeysm

Alan I have a lot of tooling I don't use now but when I need it I have it. It's my pre retirement collection. You never know. No one builds left handed reels. I might be profitable to explore it and sell a few reels before the other parts run out.

Petah

Mike,
        I know this is an old thread, but did you still have that information
on who will make the left handed tap? $105.00 is worth it to me. I also have
tools from being a mechanic that I will only use two or three times in my
life but as you said "when I need it I have it" I sent a request for a custom tap
to a tooling company but they are very slow in following up on it. They acknowledged
my request but that's it.
Hope to hear back from you.

Peter

Keta

If you get the tap I will send you some stars to tap to help recover the cost of tooling.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mikeysm

I am trying to remember the company making the custom taps.

Mike

Petah

Mike,

Is it North American Tool Company???

Peter

redfish12

If these are made put me down for 5 and 5 sleeves