How much do upgrade kits help with casting distance?

Started by festus, September 27, 2017, 04:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I've seen aftermarket upgrades for Abu Garcia 4000, 5000, and 6000 series reels including dual bearing worm gear kit with ceramic pawl, super ported dual ball bearing idler gear kit, and ceramic spool bearings.

Will these upgrades really help casting distance enough to make it worthwhile?  I know removing the level wind assembly will help, but I'm not a big fan of non-level wind reels. Besides, lately l've found used Abus for $8 apiece, doesn't make sense to spend $80 to $100 when l can find a brand new reel for that price.  ::)

alantani

before you start spending money, try cleaning out the old parts with carb cleaner, then lube it with TSI and go fish.  i think you will be pleasantly surprised. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I know that does make a difference but at what cost...

I know of guys in Malaysia that drills out the stock idler gears to reduce weight and it helps in reducing rotational mass.  I haven't tried it myself, but it's quite amazing the amount of free-spool they get.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

festus

Quote from: alantani on September 27, 2017, 04:39:27 PM
before you start spending money, try cleaning out the old parts with carb cleaner, then lube it with TSI and go fish.  i think you will be pleasantly surprised. 
l've cleaned my old parts in most of my Abus with carb cleaner and lighter fluid and lubed them with marine grease and 3-ln-One oil.  So TSl is a much better lube than what l've been using?

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 27, 2017, 05:00:28 PM

I know of guys in Malaysia that drills out the stock idler gears to reduce weight and it helps in reducing rotational mass.  I haven't tried it myself, but it's quite amazing the amount of free-spool they get.
Those are about 20 bucks plus shipping, they look effective but l still think they're overpriced.

fishhawk

I have done a few level-wind abu upgrades and find very little difference in distance, I only found a noticeable difference is when I removed level wind.
Mark

Bryan Young

Quote from: festus on September 27, 2017, 05:42:38 PM
l've cleaned my old parts in most of my Abus with carb cleaner and lighter fluid and lubed them with marine grease and 3-ln-One oil.  So TSl is a much better lube than what l've been using?

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 27, 2017, 05:00:28 PM

Those are about 20 bucks plus shipping, they look effective but l still think they're overpriced.
Considering the bearing is $8-$12, well, the cost for the plastic piece sounds reasonable.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

I agree...especially if you lubed levelwind components with grease...if oiled they will spin much easier. TSI will produce the fastest spool and could even get out of control if your thumb is not well educated. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: mo65 on September 27, 2017, 06:45:04 PM

I agree...especially if you lubed levelwind components with grease...if oiled they will spin much easier. TSI will produce the fastest spool and could even get out of control if your thumb is not well educated. 8)
No, l use oil on levelwind and bearings,  A couple days ago l saw a youtube video on reel servicing and the guy was putting grease on the worm gear.  Don't know what his reasoning could be. l need to look into this TSl.

fishhawk

If your'e fishing in the sand, grease is a big no-no!, clean n lightly lubed will get you as fast as possible.

oc1

I think un-oiled full ceramic bearings give the longest free spin time.  The free spin time correlates to longer casts, but there are diminishing returns and you soon get to the point where upgrades do not make a noticeable difference out in the field.  

After fine tuning, the reel will still need braking to get it under control.  Spool tension knobs, oil and grease, and (God forbid) friction brakes provide braking but the amount of braking pressure remains the same or even decreases as the spool speed increases.  This is the opposite of what you want.  The best braking systems apply no pressure at low spool speeds and more pressure as the spool speed increases.  These include centrifugal and magnetic brakes.  

Something with very low viscosity like Hot Sauce will give you more free spin time than TSI.  But, the low viscosity stuff does not last long and may need to be reapplied in just an hour or so.

Giving up the level wind is difficult, but not as bad as you might think if the reel palms well and you can lay line with your thumb from above.  It soon becomes second nature.  The 5000 size round reel is a little too big for me and something smaller or lower profile is needed to make it comfortable to use without levelwind.
-steve

handi2

I've done a bunch of them but not to extremes like the ported cog wheel. The single bearing cog wheel is a waist. The double bearing cog wheel is great. Along with the Ceramic Hybrid bearings throughout the reel.

I've done some 4500's that the line guide goes back and forth over 20 times just by spinning the spool. They are a narrow reel.

Is it too much? I think so but this is what some people want. Just to know all the goodies are in the reel.

I oil the bearings with TSI301. After the reel is assembled I use air to blow the spool fast. It gives the best freespool after doing so.

Jerry at Foran reel Service doesn't oil the Ceramic Hybrid cog wheel bearings. I don't know if he oils the spool bearings.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tiddlerbasher

just use tsi301 on spool bearings - tsi321 on level wind - grease on gears and cranking stuff - don't try and over think it :o

mikeysm

Ceramic bearings do help with casting. I had several reels that suffered before I did the upgrades. My abu beast round was a pain until I upgraded it. It is a outstanding reel now. It has every upgrade known to man. I even found stainless gears to finish it off. Right down to the gear sleeve with a bearing.

Mike

festus

Great help, guys.  l've been fishing Abu round baitcasters for at least 40 years but have learned more about the internal parts in the last few weeks since l discovered this site than in my entire fishing days. 

Cor

Casting distance is 85% skill and maybe the rest tackle.
Cornelis