Herter's Reels

Started by wfjord, September 28, 2017, 03:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Fujitani

The first fly reel that I ever bought, a single action South Bend, is pictured on the upper left of the left page. 

I bought a Herter's catalog for a dollar back in the late 60's, a few years later, after I bought the South Bend HCH (later a 7 Wt.) fly rod and reel set, from a Thrifty Drug store.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on March 21, 2019, 03:10:13 PM
Resurrecting an old thread here, does anyone know(Midway Tommy especially) if South Bend or the Gladding Corp. make any spinning  reels for Herter's?

This reel advertised on Ebay looks identical to an old SB my dad used during the early 1970s.  I gave it to my nephew several years ago and he was fishing it last time I asked.  If so, it's larger than a Mitchell 300 but smaller than a 306.

I remember having the big Herter's catalog and ordering some things from it but not reels.  

South Bend nor Gladding ever made any spinning reels. All of their spinning reels were outsourced. Herter's outsourced all of their fishing reels, casting, fly, spincast & spinning. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

basto

That 930 has some similarities to Daiwas from that era.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

festus

Quote from: basto on March 21, 2019, 08:27:50 PM
That era had a bunch of lookalikes.  I have a Shakespeare 2200 and a Compac 89, they look identical other than color of the rotor, side plates, housing, and spool.  I think Pflueger also had one almost identical.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on March 21, 2019, 08:44:02 PM
Quote from: basto on March 21, 2019, 08:27:50 PM
That era had a bunch of lookalikes.  I have a Shakespeare 2200 and a Compac 89, they look identical other than color of the rotor, side plates, housing, and spool.  I think Pflueger also had one almost identical.

During that time frame there were a limited number of Japanese reel manufactures, and some of the major, well known, names came out of the same factories. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Tommy's gotta be right; rather than Gladding/South Bend making reels for Herter's, probably all three sourced a reel or reels from the same Japanese manufacturer.

I read somewhere once that Shakespeare made some reels for South Bend and SB made some rods for Shaky.  That may or may not be true, but could be another case of a common source providing gear to multiple retailers.

I have seen literature (i.e reel schematics) that have the South Bend and DAM Quick name on them.  Likely another case of SB acknowledging the source of some of it's gear.

Frank

Whit

I remember that Herters catalog!   Great reading!

One article I remember above all, and it might have been or near the front or back page, was about how WWIII was going to start:   Memory is from long ago but I seem to recall the author (Herter) believed the triggering event would be that the Russians would send over a nuclear bomber to the US, but skillfully marked with Chinese markings.   The bomb would blow up and we would react against the Chinese!   Taa daa!!!

Memories, indeed!

happyhooker

Sounds like an old Richard Widmark film (the name escapes me), where the ChiComs painted up a B-29 in US markings, and intended to bomb Japan with it.  Widmark, in an old "sewer type" Japanese sub, landed on the island where the bomber was and the sub crew ended up blowing up the whole works.  Action at it's 1950s finest!

Frank

Crow

I think the movie is "Hell and High Water"
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

albiakid

I recently bought a Herter's Professional 940 at a garage sale. It's in like new condition and would like to use it. I wonder if Foakes would mind looking in his catalog for the specs, mainly range of line weights. I'm thinking 10 to 15, but it would be nice to know. Thanks