TLD titanium dragb washers!

Started by exp2000, September 29, 2017, 02:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/titanium-drag-washer-p-1544934.html

Does anyone know why the single speed TLD drag washers are called "Titanium"?

They are labelled so in the company schematics but the washers are actually a canvas like material.

Could it be that the canvas is impregnated with titanium oxide or is this perhaps a typo?

Anyone have a clue?
~

philaroman

maybe they just like[d] calling things "titanium" -- the old black Shimano spinner bodies from late 80's / early 90's were called "Titanium Graphite"...  on the other hand, the metal drag washers in some old high-end Shimano spinners (e.g., original Sustain F) actually were titanium

alantani

i have no idea where they got "titanium," but the drag washers are made of canvas.  it can't be more obvious.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

What's inna name? Sometimes everything, sometimes something, sometimes nothing, but it sounds good. I still don't know what "Dartainium" is. I know that after submerging my tld 15, the "titainium" drag became temporarily worthless. Would a greased C-tex have faired better? Probably, but how much Iown't know. Most people that've worked on dartainium washer drag systems know how brittle they are. I'd imagine if one researched dartainium & titainium they would be referenced as "proprietary" information.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Had to try, but my research skills suck. From bassresource.com: one guy posted that dartainium drag washers were carbon based like C-tex. Another corrected him, saying that they were a graphite based material(sounds more realistic) hence the fine powder residue and breakage issues.

Nothing on titainium, except that Accurate says they use titainium washers because they "don't shred" as eaisly. No detail provided by Accurate as to actual titainium or variations thereof, used.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

exp2000

Quote from: Gfish on September 29, 2017, 06:47:31 AM
Had to try, but my research skills suck. From bassresource.com: one guy posted that dartainium drag washers were carbon based like C-tex. Another corrected him, saying that they were a graphite based material(sounds more realistic) hence the fine powder residue and breakage issues.

Graphite is crystaline carbon .

I would mot be surprised at all if Dartanium Washers were a carbon compound.

However there is a big difference between solid biscuits and woven fiber mat when it comes to flexibility and performance characteristics.

A colloquial name for the big Dartaniums is "potato chips" in reference to their brittle fragility.
~

braz13

The drag washers in the TLD's are canvas but seem to have a bonding or coating agent on them, I remember reading somewhere that Titanium dioxide can be used as a hardner in the manufacture of rubber, I think the bonding/coating on the canvas drags may have titanium dioxide added.
I think it's just a play on words used by the manufacturers, titanium dioxide used in the making of the drags, so they call them titanium drags, sounds good from a selling point.

exp2000

Quote from: braz13 on September 29, 2017, 01:25:23 PM
The drag washers in the TLD's are canvas but seem to have a bonding or coating agent on them, I remember reading somewhere that Titanium dioxide can be used as a hardner in the manufacture of rubber, I think the bonding/coating on the canvas drags may have titanium dioxide added.

Yes, I wondered about this. Titanium Dioxide has many industrial uses and in many instances imparts a white finish to the end product. I used to do lapidary work when I was a kid and we used white titanium dioxide powder for the final polishing stage of the gemstone. That might explain the colour of the TLD drag washers.
~

Bryan Young

Quote from: exp2000 on September 29, 2017, 02:56:25 PM
Quote from: braz13 on September 29, 2017, 01:25:23 PM

Yes, I wondered about this. Titanium Dioxide has many industrial uses and in many instances imparts a white finish to the end product. I used to do lapidary work when I was a kid and we used white titanium dioxide powder for the final polishing stage of the gemstone. That might explain the colour of the TLD drag washers.
~
Interesting...I thought Titanium Dioxide was one of those highly slippery substances.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

Titanium dioxide is primarily used as a pigment in paints/varnishes and cosmetics as a whitening agent. I don't see any point in using it in a 'drag' environment - unless it's make-up for a drag queen ;D ;D

Tiddlerbasher

Bryan you may have been thinking of Tungsten disulphide - that is a reely slippery sucker ;D

alantani

Quote from: Gfish on September 29, 2017, 05:41:49 AM
What's inna name? Sometimes everything, sometimes something, sometimes nothing, but it sounds good. I still don't know what "Dartainium" is. I know that after submerging my tld 15, the "titainium" drag became temporarily worthless. Would a greased C-tex have faired better? Probably, but how much Iown't know. Most people that've worked on dartainium washer drag systems know how brittle they are. I'd imagine if one researched dartainium & titainium they would be referenced as "proprietary" information.
Gfish

here's the word on dartanium!  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1519.0

exp2000

Quotehere's the word on dartanium!  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1519.0

Thanks Alan. I enjoyed reading that but could find no reference to Dartanium or did I miss something?

QuoteTitanium dioxide is primarily used as a pigment in paints/varnishes and cosmetics as a whitening agent.

Another big industrial use for titanium dioxide is as a UV stabilizer in plastics and synthetic ropes to arrest degradation which is why they are often white in colour.
~

alantani

dartanium is just hardened, brittle carbon.  not even carbon fiber.  that's what shimano put in the old gold trinidads.  they broke like tortilla chips. they also got really sticky with the addition of teflon grease and a little wear. 

basto

I once cut one of my canvas washers from an early tld star drag to find it is a thin metal washer covered in canvas.
Maybe this metal is titanium.
The graphite bodies of these reels  are made from what Shimano called XT7. It is a said to be 20% titanium.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n