TLD titanium dragb washers!

Started by exp2000, September 29, 2017, 02:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

? How much weight difference would it make for titanium drag washers  ;D

basto

Maybe a titanium skeleton for a canvas washer was to give it rigidity. I don`t own a TLD lever drag reel, but would be interested to know if there is anything inside the canvas material to give this large washer rigidity.
Is titanium more resistant to salt corrosion than stainless steel?
I am away from home at present, but when I get  home I will cut one of the canvas washers I saved from my 20/40 to show here.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

exp2000

Quote from: basto on September 30, 2017, 06:03:08 AM
Maybe a titanium skeleton for a canvas washer was to give it rigidity. I don`t own a TLD lever drag reel, but would be interested to know if there is anything inside the canvas material to give this large washer rigidity.
I am away from home at present, but when I get  home I will cut one of the canvas washers I saved from my 20/40 to show here.
Basto

Thanks Basto. Looking forward to seeing your drag washer autopsy :)
~

braz13

Cut/tore up a TLD 5, 15, 25 and a charter special drag, all very similar construction, canvas outer material bonded to a canvas inner, the inner core looks to be impregnated with some sort of resin. Would suggest manufacture would be to impregnated the inner canvas core with resin then sandwiched it between the two outer layers.

exp2000

What! No titanium?

Have to ask on the Arthur C. Clark forum ;)
~

philaroman

Quote from: Benni3 on September 30, 2017, 03:24:57 AM
? How much weight difference would it make for titanium drag washers  ;D

MUCH lighter than steel

Quote from: basto on September 30, 2017, 06:03:08 AM
Maybe a titanium skeleton for a canvas washer was to give it rigidity...

less rigid than spring steel & virtually impervious to corrosion...  hence the use for no-kink wire leaders (and artificial hips/knees)

Tiddlerbasher

No kink wire leaders are generally a Nickel/Titanium alloy - Nitol, a version of memory wire - a very interesting alloy - it can be made to act like a muscle when different voltages or temperatures are applied. Nitol stents are sometimes used for angioplasty. A stent is a small mesh tube that's used to treat narrow or weak arteries. Arteries are blood vessels that carry blood away from your heart to other parts of your body. A stent is placed in an artery as part of a procedure called percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), also known as coronary angioplasty. A very fine Nitol mesh tube can be inserted into an artery - when it warms up to body temperature it will expand to 'open up' the artery

The titanium, or titanium alloys for joint replacements are quite different. Virtually all variants of titanium alloys are very corrosion resistant :)

The Nitol used for wire leaders tries to return to it's normal state (straight) at everyday temps unless knotted very violently (or heated above a certain temp)!
Wire leaders made from Nitol have another useful characteristic they can stretch under load like mono. So be careful if crimping for tooth proof wire leaders (I would double crimp to be safe) ;)

basto

Wow! This place is a mine of information!
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

philaroman

excellent frames for super-light eyeglasses, as well -- no need for heavy/bulky spring-hinged joints

conchydong

To be honest with you, I never heard of the Shimano "Titanium" drag washers. At least for the TLD's. The original canvas washers were called Dartanium and the next generation of carbon fiber were called Dartanium II if I am correct.

Shimano must have copyrighted that name and stuck with it for monetary reasons.

I am no expert and I admit I may be 100% wrong on this, but that is what I believe to be.
Perhaps they had "Titanium" washers for other series of reels.

exp2000

Quote from: conchydong on October 01, 2017, 01:42:47 AM
To be honest with you, I never heard of the Shimano "Titanium" drag washers. At least for the TLD's. The original canvas washers were called Dartanium and the next generation of carbon fiber were called Dartanium II if I am correct.

I am no expert and I admit I may be 100% wrong on this, but that is what I believe to be.

Dartanium washers are the amorphous carbon wafers used in star drag conventionals and baitcasters.

The so-called "tatanium" canvas washers used in the TLD single speeds are what we are talking about here.
~

conchydong

Quote from: exp2000 on October 01, 2017, 03:48:15 AM
Quote from: conchydong on October 01, 2017, 01:42:47 AM

Dartanium washers are the amorphous carbon wafers used in star drag conventionals and baitcasters.

The so-called "tatanium" canvas washers used in the TLD single speeds are what we are talking about here.
~

You are correct. I was confused with all of the different names Shimano has. Still am.  :)

braz13

I've done a lot of searching trying to find any information on TLD titanium drag and I cannot find anything other than the name "titanium drag, Shimano don't even list it in their reels glossary page, they list Dartanium and Double drag plate with descriptions but "titanium drags" aren't mentioned.

Is it possible "titanium drag" is just a marketing name to make it sound better than a canvas drag, or is there a form titanium used in the manufacture of a drag component, ie titanium dioxide, golf ball manufactures use "titanium" in their names, no actual titanium but titanium dioxide is used.

Shimano also use the word titanium in some of the graphite framed reel ranges "graphite/titanium", again is it a play on words or is there a form of titanium used in the manufacture process?

Most of my fishing is done with the TLD range, all my reels are very well looked after and I regularly service them, all reels are now have carbon drag and until this thread started I never considered the name titanium drag, it's now niggling away at me.

braz13

Just found this!!!

It’s an extract from a magazine “Popular Mechanics” from April 1985.

The article is describing some of the technology that Shimano are starting to use in the manufacture of their rods and reels.

Solved :) :) :)

exp2000

Congratulations Braz.

You are the official recipient of the Arthur C. Clark prize for 2017 ;)

I was beginning to think that this thread would go on forever!
~