550ssg

Started by Shark Hunter, October 03, 2017, 05:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I know the graphite reels aren't very popular due to their flex.
I bought this one by mistake years ago and I figured I would use it anyway.
I have surf fished with it the past two years. I have made a lot of casts with it with 20lb mono and heavy lures at least 3/4 ounce to get it out there.
This past trip, it got dunked more than once trying to swim out to the bar, where the action was at.
It was too deep and I would have to swim back.
I took it apart last night and it still looks like new. No saltwater intrusion. Regreased, re oiled and will put new line on for next May.
I figured it would be like a Daiwa sweepfire, when it quits, just throw it away. Not the case with this one. It has a lot of life left.

Life is Good!

mizmo67

They do work really hard, despite the graphite housing issues.
Nice that it was in great condition after the dunking!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

handi2

They are still very popular around here. They dont corrode like a metal reel. The clutch bearing is also a plus.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

fishgrain

come on now SH ...... it's a 550SS (graphite)

of course it's a tank, just a slightly lighter tank that doesn't corrode or show wear as much as its metal cousin

penn's def. don't quit, and if you ever want to throw any in the trash that will most certainly be my treasure    ;) ;)

Bryan Young

My brother has been fishing those reels for years with 15# test without any problems. It's plenty strong and light weight for the application.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rivverrat

Ive a little 4300ss that I use for catching bait, White bass & Wiper for many years. Ive cranked the drag up stupid tight more than a few times when a big one took my bait. Caught several fish 15 lbs. & bigger with it. After years of use the gears are nearly shot but it has no splits or cracks & still works... I would not hesitate to buy certain Penn models, in good shape, that are graphite framed.... Jeff

Alto Mare

I'm glad those plastic reels are working out for you guys, personally, I will stick with my  550SS metal, one of the best reel ever made and very easy to service.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Please forgive me Sal. I know the word Graphite is a fightin' word to you. ;D
I knew you would be chiming in.
I'll just get this one salty for now.
I have a few of the 550ss. I just don't like dunking them.
Wading in the surf is rough on reels.
I totally agree with it being one of the best spinning reels ever made. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Haha...😃, I'm actually glad you guys really like the graphite, maybe now I'll have a better chance getting my metal ones😉
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.