Heddon 112 spincasting reel

Started by lifeofRiley, October 04, 2017, 08:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lifeofRiley

A buddy of mine picked up an old Heddon 112 spincasting reel at a garage sale for two bucks. I mentioned to him that I clean reels and he gave it to me to clean up. I took it apart and the grease was all gray and either hardened or very sticky/tacky and the thing was completely gummed up. I disassembled the reel, soaked the parts in simple green, and scrubbed them clean. I could find no schematic, and took no pics before I tore it apart. That being said, there aren't many parts to it, and I put it back together and it seems to function fine. The only question I have about this reel is that in order to cast it, do you lightly hold down the button to release tension on the line? When I was a little guy I went through plenty of johnson and zebco spincast reels, and I remember pressing the button, the "clutch" would be disengaged, casting, and then turning the reel handle to re-engage the drive train. For this Heddon 112 if I press the button and let go, it immediately pops back into place without me turning the reel handle. It is a green colored reel, I'll try to post a pic soon. Thanks for any info on this older reel.
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7

alantani

I'm not familiar with these at all, but someone here should be.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Hi LoR --

Just pulled apart a Heddon 120 to check function for you --

Button depressed secures line, ready for casting -- when one lets off the thumb button the line goes out -- but when you crank the handle, the button clicks back up to the original position -- and line is retrieved --  just like 90% of all types of closed face spinning reels.

In looking at the insides of this reel (if it is like yours, pic would help) when the handle is cranked forward -- there is a center spring loaded plunger that clicks back against the thumb button -- bringing it back into the upward postion as the line is retrieved.

Something is amiss in the inside of the rotating head (broken, out of kilter, loose, or missing).

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

lifeofRiley

Here's some pics. Fred, the one part I am wondering about upon reassembly is the orientation of that thin-wire clip that goes on top of the spool. There is a small slot part of the clip goes in, but I'm not sure which part. The functionality of the reel seems fine as far as winding, drag, etc. The only thing I'm stumped on is why when the button is pressed and the plunger and spring are depressed, they don't stay that way. If you see anything that catches your eye please let me know.

Thanks for the help.
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7

Swami805

I've been playing around with a few of these spincasters for my grandsons. I had gotten a few Walmart specials that several trips to the salt turned to junk that I wanted to replace with something that were easy to use. Hit the bay and got a few on the really cheap. When I opened them the drag washer was about the same size as a 133h so I saw a glimmer of potential but the low end models I had weren't cutting it so I ponied up and got the high end 185 for about $20.
It has 2 bearings, brass pinion and a decent amount of features for what it is. I cleaned lubed and added a greased CF drag. Nice and smooth now and who knows, it might be capable of something?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Swami805

Here's a few picture

Swami805

Here's some of the inside. To answer the question about the free spool button there 2 slots in the main shaft on the end. The top slot hold a big c-clip, the 2nd slot has a thin wire clip in it that keeps the free spool bottom from popping out until the handle is turned. That wire must fall out pretty easy and disappear because mine did. I made a new one out of stainless wire.
Anyway a really simple mechanism and not much to break. I figure I'll fill it with 20lb and see what happens