40 gls

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

circlehook and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Legal Bill

Thanks to Alan for another great tutorial.  I'm cleaning and lubing a 225 LD and I was wondering why Alan changed the orientation of the clutch springs from the stock configuration.  Also, my sealed bearings appear to be very clean and are spinning fine.  Is it still advisable to remove the seals and clean and lube them or is that only something you do when the bearings won't spin or show signs of corrosion?  Thanks for any help you can offer.

alantani

i like to install spool bearings open because i believe that they will last longer that way.  not everyone agreees. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Legal Bill

Thanks Alan.  I think I found the answer to the clutch spring question on another thread.

keyshunter

I have 2 40 gls's which were bought new when they first came out. Early on, both were returned to Penn and the main gears and pinions were replaced at no charge. I don't know the material of the original parts, but those returned  were pretty chewed up. The new ones are stainless. These reels have not been used in at least 10 years. I got into one last year and just did a lube and drag grease. Last week I took the other apart and did a more thorough job-- opened bearings, cleaned and regreased, did the drag with Cal's, and changed the bellvilles to (()).  Straight off the spool, I measured 23 lbs at strike while still retaining free spool. Max was probably more than 30 lbs, since I broke 30 lb ande on 2 tries. I intend to respool with 50 and try it as a grouper (stop 'em or pop 'em) reel when the season reopens. It really seems like a decent reel, although I have no idea how the frame will do with heavy drag.

alantani

stay under 15 pounds of drag and you should be fine!

floating doc

I've used mine for grouper with about 18 pounds of drag. Obviously pushing it a bit, but worked well. I can't wait to try it out since adding one of Alan's 5/0 handles.
Central Florida

alantani

a smooth drag greatly decreases the chance of frame failure.  the only consistent failures that i am aware of were with the shimano tld 30 two speed's and drag settings in excess of 20 pounds.  that's why i recommend drag settings of 15 pounds.  for most applications, that is plenty of drag!

Ron Jones

Floating Doc,
I know you asked this last year, but this reel uses the same arm as the 113H. Alan has a nice one and so does Lee.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

floating doc

Thanks for the reply.  I've got one of Lee's cranks; it's really nice and a good match for Alan's handles.
Central Florida

keyshunter

I originally dragged these reels out to sell on ebay, but since gls 40's were bringing so little, and I saw Alan's tutorial, I decided to try to get some use out of them. I don't remember why I quit using them, but, these days, I am doing more bottom fishing than trolling, and could use an extra reel or two..

I have decided to use this one as a dedicated grouper reel and fish it at 20 lb. strike with 50 lb mono.  If I destroy the reel, there won't be much loss. 

floating doc

Let us know how it performs.
Central Florida

keyshunter

Will do, floating doc. It will be a while, though. Grouper season in the Keys does not open again until May 1. Actually, I may go a bit heavier, since some of our Blacks have no trouble pulling that much drag as they head for a hole.

keyshunter

I fished that reel with heavy drag all year and never caught anything that really tested the drag until 2 weeks ago. We were Yellowtailing and I put a just legal Yellowtail down on that Grouper rig. It didn't take long until I had a hook up. This fish pulled drag, but in typical grouper fashion, never got very far from the boat.  Whenever I gained some line, she took it right back. The water was pretty clear and we saw her shape twice, but I could not tell if it was a very large Black Grouper or a Jewfish.  Anyway, after 40 minutes and 2 trips around the boat the 60 lb mono leader finally had enough of being dragged through the rocks and parted. It was just as well, because Jewfish are protected, and I do not kill large Blacks.  When we checked the drag later we found that it was 26 lbs. at strike and that reel never missed a beat. Because of the bad press, I expected it to explode at any time, but it is just fine. However, the handle could really use an upgrade.

alantani

If you have a bolt on handle,  then you can unscrew the stock handle grip and bolt on one of mine!

Threegals

Do you have the rubber gasket or have an idea where I might purchase the gasket?

Thank you, threegals.