Thumb bar sticks

Started by Ronvent, October 09, 2017, 11:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronvent

My Abu 6600HC and 6600 C4 both have the same problem. If there's any appreciable weight (i.e. 6 ozs.) hanging from the rod tip, I cannot press the thumb bar to operate the reel in free spool.The bar won't move. I can't cast a six or more ounce lure or sinker without first using my thumb to "nudge" the reel backwards a bit. Is there something I can do to make the thumb bar reliably free the spool as soon as I press it?

handi2

Try rolling the spool backwards as you push the thumbar. It will take the load off. Even a Senator reel will do this with heavy weights.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

festus

Quote from: handi2 on October 09, 2017, 11:57:29 PM
Try rolling the spool backwards as you push the thumbar. It will take the load off. Even a Senator reel will do this with heavy weights.
One of my Abu 4600s does the same, thanks for the tip.

Cor

Most conventional reels do this to a greater or lesser extent.   If there is pressure on the pinion they won't move in to free spool.
Cornelis

Reelmeneer

Simple fix, learn yourself to add your thumb to the spool before pressing the thumbar. That way there is less tension to the spool and everything works as it should. This also will keep your reel from defectives on the inner parts. Even better.... put your thumb on the spool before lifting the bait out of the water. I use this 'technique' on all my abu's and never had any problems.

Kind regards,

ed

Dominick

Yep, take the weight off the spool.  Even the Tank does that.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

What they said.  Six ounces sounds like a lot of weight to be heaving with a little Ambassareur.
-steve