makaira 10II or 16II?

Started by steelfish, October 10, 2017, 06:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, although I really like my Fathom 40LD2 a close friend just bought it from me on my last fishing trip, he liked that much with the tani 4/0 grip and Tani treatment on the bearings that he just gave me the money of the reel, grip and line (400yds 80#), so, now Im in the market for a new reel on those specs or better but I would like to try Okuma this time, I have always have my eyes on the killing machine makaira reel.

what it would be the closest makaira model to a fathom/torque 40ld2 in line capacity?

seems like the mk15 is the really close to a 40LD2 but the line capacity is bit less and I was actually thinking to use 100# this time for grouper fishing so, Mak16 might be the ticket but it jumps from 26oz to 40oz and dont know if it would see much action other than grouper fishing or fishing on deep reefs.

I really like the mk10 but seems like a small overbuild tank for fish 50# braid specially on this rocky zones where you have to be give zero line to reef creatures or lose your fish and your $30 lure, but I read some guys pack their mak10 with 80#maxquatro line

having said that and since I dont have any fishing store that carry those reels to check them in person, can some one please post pics of a mak10, mak15 and mak16 along other reels like 113h, jigmaster, trinidad 20/40, torque 40, etc

The Baja Guy

MarkT

The 10 is a 40-50# reel.  The 15 is a wide 10 and works for 50-60#.  The 16 is a beast for fishing 80-100#.  I use mine for 80# bait or trolling.
Okuma doesn't have anything in the same capacity/form factor as the 40n.  The Andros 16 comes closest but it is shorter and wider.

Really, it sounds like you should just get another 40nld2 and hang onto it this time!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on October 10, 2017, 08:22:59 PM
Really, it sounds like you should just get another 40nld2 and hang onto it this time!
naah, not really, I will come back to the fathom lineup later but in the 25ld2 size.

so Mark, you're telling do you have a mak16, then.
would you mind posting some pics along with other well-known reels for size comparation?
The Baja Guy

handi2

The smaller ones I have are the 15II and 16II.  The 15II is really too wide for my liking but my son loves it. I assume the 10II would be more narrow. The 16II is a square reel meaning its about the same width as it is tall. Its perfect. Its bigger and heavier than your 25N. Ive had that too.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

MarkT

Makaira 16 SEa, HX Raptor, JX Raptor.

alantani

i use the mak 16 for 80 pound and the mak 20 for 100. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

I have been thinking about these smaller reels lately.  That Mak16  seems like a good 80lb reel.  There are so many different 2 speed lever drag reels available these days, it's tough to decide what the reel would work best, and be a good value for an all around live bait, chunking, deep jigging etc.. setup.  I enjoy researching and thinking about it all, but I will likely start with the Fathom 40N2ld.  Some of the reels thst were on the top of my list a year or 2 ago, have dropped down a bit.  That new International would be a sweet reel, so would the torque.  I liked the Fin nor Marquees, the Andros, and some of the JM, and Accurate reels seem pretty sweet as well.  

It's really amazing how many choices are available now days.

Just some random thoughts.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MarkT

I have an 80# leader on the 16 SEa over 600yds of 100# Threadlock spectra, 60# topshot on the HX over 500 yds of 80# spectra and 50# topshot on the JX over 400 yds of 65# spectra.

The Mak 20 is the same width as the 16 with a larger diameter.

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on October 11, 2017, 02:20:11 AM
Makaira 16 SEa, HX Raptor, JX Raptor.

You have really nice toys amigo, thanks for the pics
Why the Mak16 looks silver?
Isnt the colors are only gold and smoke on the SEA ?

@John, its amazing how many good options we have, right?
Fathom 40LD2 is a really nice reel if you for it you wont be disappointed
The Baja Guy

MarkT

The standard Makaira's are gold.  Gunsmoke and Silver are the standard colors on the SEa versions.  Silver started as a limited run color but is now standard.  They did a run in black and are currently doing them in blue with a silver spool.

SoCalAngler

I know your looking at the Okuma line of reels and IMO they are fine reels but like stated they don't really have a reel that matches closely in size to the Penn FTH 40NLD.

On the other hand a Avet Raptor HXJ does come very close on overall size, has more drag, very close gearing and cost a bit less than the Okuma reels your looking at. Their not Okuma but are fine reels also and will meet your size requirements well.

steelfish

Quote from: SoCalAngler on October 11, 2017, 03:38:47 PM
I know your looking at the Okuma line of reels and IMO they are fine reels but like stated they don't really have a reel that matches closely in size to the Penn FTH 40NLD.

On the other hand a Avet Raptor HXJ does come very close on overall size, has more drag, very close gearing and cost a bit less than the Okuma reels your looking at. Their not Okuma but are fine reels also and will meet your size requirements well.

Im not really set on get me a "clone" in size and power of the FTH40ld2 on the okuma lineup really, its more like I accepted the offer from my friend looking to get me another reel one step up in power and quality, nothing wrong with the fathom, so, it could be the torque 40ld2 or an Avet raptor or a talica 16 or 20 or etc, etc.

not far from here there are some good deep reefs where friends are using their talicas 16 and 20 or even 25 with 80# or 100# braid, some are using a plain stock 114h and both get the job done, so at the end its a matter of preference, thanks for the avet raptor recomendation

The Baja Guy

MarkT

The HXJ is the same capacity as the JX/Talica 12.  It's a narrow HX Raptor.  I told Lee that if he fell overboard on the Spirit of Adventure charter than his wife would never know he had one!

alantani

the raptor hxj is a great wahoo reel.  the big selling point is the 47 inches per crank.  that's hard to beat. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

The TranX 500 HD is what I use for Wahoo.  43" per crank with a level wind that makes it easy to crank fast without worrying about the line.  I got a Wahoo last week on my Lexa 400 HD hs-p with 37.7" per crank. It was my 3rd wahoo on a Lexa 400.  My biggest YT as Guadalupe came on that same Lexa.