makaira 10II or 16II?

Started by steelfish, October 10, 2017, 06:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r8rs4lf

I set mine up with 500 yards of 100# MC.

Plan is to use it on my UC76 Raptor and move the Mak16 to the Centaur.

May also use it for yoyo since it's a bit smaller than the 40N which I never liked. Just too tall for me.

50-80# leaders.

Rivverrat

As much as I hate to say this having been a legit Penn fan for a bit now... The Mak 15t has only one true competitor, Penn VISX 12. The Penn 12 has been the only reel of this size in this class for some time. I dont really consider the HX while a great reel, lacks the over build quality in certain areas that reels in this class have.

Any way I cant wait until my buddy gets his so I can take it apart & see how they go about one upping Penn or if they even succeed in doing so. I really enjoy this stuff... Jeff

boon

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 13, 2019, 12:57:23 AM
As much as I hate to say this having been a legit Penn fan for a bit now... The Mak 15t has only one true competitor, Penn VISX 12. The Penn 12 has been the only reel of this size in this class for some time. I dont really consider the HX while a great reel, lacks the over build quality in certain areas that reels in this class have.

Shimano Talica 12/16II. Same drag output, Talica is slightly faster and lighter but they are definitely in the ballpark.

I do really like the look of the 15T though. It is what the original 15 always should have been, a proper middle ground between the 10 and the 16, where the original 15 was just a wide 10 (admittedly this does have its applications but I've always preferred a taller, narrow reel).

r8rs4lf

Quote from: boon on April 15, 2019, 04:06:49 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on April 13, 2019, 12:57:23 AM

Shimano Talica 12/16II. Same drag output, Talica is slightly faster and lighter but they are definitely in the ballpark.

I do really like the look of the 15T though. It is what the original 15 always should have been, a proper middle ground between the 10 and the 16, where the original 15 was just a wide 10 (admittedly this does have its applications but I've always preferred a taller, narrow reel).

Ballpark? Yeah, I guess, but the 40N is much closer.

I thought the Talicas would be close as well, but looking at them side by side, they are not.

I got a 500 yard spool of 80# MC on my Talica 12ii and on my 15T, I got 500 yards of 100# MC.

Rivverrat

Boon, to a degree I stand corrected by the points you bring about the Talica 12. Yes most definitely in the same ballpark.  At this point I need to apologize for my bias against Shimano. My experience with a couple of Stellas years ago & some other things Shimano does just rubs me wrong. However with that said many people find them to be wonderful reels for their use. I can appreciate that... Jeff