VHF radio recommendations?

Started by Rancanfish, October 13, 2017, 02:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I have a perfectly good VHF radio from the time of seedling redwoods, so...,
I was wondering if a new $150 Class D is plenty good enough?

I see $500 dollar radios, so I guess they talk for you?  Make me sound young again?

Recommendation?  Thanks for your thoughts.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

David Hall

Uniden has a Wide spectrum of radios. Depending on the features you want. GPS, DSC, I've got them from $100.00 to $700.00. And the 100 dollar one does everything the $700 dollar one does.
Look at the gps store online. Or Hodges marine for the best deals.

day0ne

I personally like Icom radios. Well built.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

newfuturevintage

Quote from: David Hall on October 13, 2017, 04:04:23 AM
Look at the gps store online. 

+1. I had a good experience getting my handheld VHFs from the gps store.

SoCalAngler

I always take two vhf radios when on my boat. One a boat mounted of course and another a water resistant hand held. If your looking for something to walk around the woods maybe a handheld will work fine along with a good cell phone. But, for me when off shore I like two radios. I had a situation once when we could receive just fine, hit the mic key and it looks like it is transmitting, my vhf shows this two ways, the digital display and on a LED on the mic, but a boat less than 100 yards away could not hear us even when we both went to low transmission. So for me two radios are a must have.

I have a Icom mounted in the boat but I don't remember the the pack of two handheld radios I bought that I have in Mexico. Both came with stand alone charging stations and have worked well for 7 years now. Let me look for the paperwork on the handhelds. My guess most of that stuff is in Baja though so it may be a while.   

David Hall

Two is the minimum, I usually have 4, one permanent boat mounted and three handhelds, but then I'm the paranoid type, I always wear a PFD equipped with a handheld and a PLB, I put handhelds and MOB devices on crew vests.  Anyone goes over and they all have a radio and a MOB broadcasting their location up to five miles.
Also plots on my screen. 

Rancanfish

I have a waterproof handheld w/ a new lithium battery I just bought offline.

I'm kind of leaning toward an Icom w/gps for about $230. 

I have been on a tear replacing everything. From flares to batteries to broken screws.

But I have to sell stuff to offset the new stuff to keep my banker happy.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.