Need cheep fix to TLD star 20/40 problems

Started by Wilmar, October 20, 2017, 07:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilmar

Hello everybody!  Greetings from Indiana.    I got a TLD star drag 20/40 via the mail yesterday. 

The handle had some give in it when I first got it - it seems to me like the handle arm is not original to this reel - the hole in arm is pretty chewed up and has some ability to wobble on the shaft.  Since I broke it down and tightened the handle nut I don't notice the wobble.  The internals of the reel look very good, monstrous gearing!!, and complete except for only dried up lube.   It is also missing its handle nut plate.  Finally, it does not have any reel clamp hardware - I hate it when I buy a reel without a reel clamp!

So, I got this thing for $40 including shipping - it is my first shimano product.    I broke it down, cleaned and lubed it.  Whoever had it before me greased or oiled the original shimano drags, I do not know why - they are supposed to be run dry, right?

Given that it will likely see Indiana style use (we are really hard on our saltwater gear here in the hoosier state) I'm looking for the cheapest fixes to this reel to get it up to snuff.

So, what does a handle nut plate actually do?  Do I really need it?  Where to find one - I have heard shimano does not have the best follow up on discontinued reel part. 

What is a cheap option for a reel clamp and hardware for this baby? 

Do people like the factory handle on this reel or do they upgrade?  If they upgrade what do they tend to use - I'd be best served by handle and arm that I could swap with other reels if possible - I mostly have penn senators/jigmasters and diawa sealines. 

Any help from the experts - you are ALL experts - is appreciated.
Wilmar

RowdyW

TLD means Triton Lever Drag. I never saw a lever drag with a star drag.  ;D ;D The worn hole in the handle will cause trouble down the road by rounding off the end of the gear sleeve. Time for a replacement handle. For a reel clamp try one from a Penn 113 with the screws, wing nuts, & washers (all SS). You could also try finding drag washers that interchange with Penn drag washers & grease them with Cal's.        Rudy       

STRIPER LOU

Hey Wil, the TLD 20/40 star is a decent reel and its been around for a long time. Although I'm not a Shimano fan, I own quite a few of these, and are my go to reels for diamond jigging and live lining.

If your pinching pennies you can get away without the handle nut plate. Loctite the nut in position and the plastic cap cover that goes over it should keep everything in place. That being said, there's nothing like fixing a reel the correct way and your really not talking about a lot of money here.

As for the drags, Rudy has made a good suggestion and suitable HT100's will do the job. If the old washers are in decent shape and not oilsoaked a wipedown with denatured alcohol and a coat of Cals grease will get it done.

For parts you might look around online. I own about 8 or 9 of these and have only replaced one plastic part. I wouldn't say these reels were abused but have been well, well, used.
You might try jdltreasures for used parts.

Good luck,  ....................Lou

Wilmar

Thanks Rowdy and Striper Lou,

OK, that's good news - I will look for a penn 113 reel clamp set up, common, available and cheap - just my speed.

Thanks for heads up about the HT100 drags for this -I think the ones in the reel now are so soaked I will need to change the drags.

And, finally, I will get to geek out about finding a used replacement handle nut plate and handle for this thing!!  ;D

Thanks fellas.

STRIPER LOU

Check with Dawn At Smooth Drags as to what washer will fit.

....................Lou

akfish

You should get the handle nut plate. It costs about a dollar. Without it, you'll inevitably over tighten the handle nut and strip threads on the but or the drive shaft. I see this too often...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Wilmar

OK thanks for further info fellas. 

StriperLou - are you referring to the size of the carbontex drag washers?  If so, thanks I will be sure to check with Dawn. 

Akfish - Yeah, I plan to get the handle nut plate just to get this thing back to stock condition -thanks for letting me know of eventual failure without it.  I will be trying to see if shimano still sells this part.

Hey, let me tell you guys - it really is like talking to celebrities conversing with you all!!  I am on Alan's site all the time (lurking) - I think its really relaxing to read and learn about this stuff and a really well run site.  Everybody seems to treat each other with a lot of respect and regard here.   :D

Best regards, Wilmar

Cor

These are very good durable reels and also cast well to.
Don't replace the handle nut plate with the standard plastic one as you will make regular $1 contributions to Shimano, but rather use a flat metal one (from Shimano or aftermarket)    I don't have a photo to show you but it's similar to this one on  the Abu.
Cornelis

Wilmar

Cor,  Thanks for the heads up.  I am trying to find parts for this now.  Will try research what plate I could substitute for the stock one.  I always prefer metal over plastic as well. 

Thanks,  Wilmar

Cor

20/40, showing the metal handle nut plate.    (not standard handle)
Cornelis

Wilmar

Cor,

Hey man, thanks for taking the time to take and send that photo.  I think I understand better what you are talking about now!  I like the non-standard handle arm on that 20/40.  That may be the sort of thing I try for myself. 

I chose to get this reel because Alan has said in past that this particular reel is pretty bomb proof.  So I'm treating it as such - just trying to get it to be a bomb proof beater type reel as cheaply as I can. 

Thanks again, Wilmar

Cor

For about 15 years these reels, including the Speedmaster which has a faster retrieve and the Daiwa SL50SH were the only reels thought to be good enough for our purpose.    They worked incredibly hard and were often abused and over loaded.    Many Yellowfin tunas were landed as well.

Good luck.
Cornelis

handi2

The SpeedMaster was a go to reel for the King Mackerel fisherman in our Gulf waters. Many still use it and the 20/40 star drag. I'm sure the TLD 15 handle will fit that reel. If you want a more custom look Alan Tani has some SS handle blanks that will fit. I have the ebay handle blanks and knobs of all kinds.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

day0ne

Dawn at Smoooth Drag has the correct carbontex drag washers for $17.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

jd944

Quote from: RowdyW on October 20, 2017, 10:18:27 PMTLD means Triton Lever Drag. I never saw a lever drag with a star drag.  ;D ;D The worn hole in the handle will cause trouble down the road by rounding off the end of the gear sleeve. Time for a replacement handle. For a reel clamp try one from a Penn 113 with the screws, wing nuts, & washers (all SS). You could also try finding drag washers that interchange with Penn drag washers & grease them with Cal's.        Rudy       
Just an FYI,the TLD Star 15/30 and the TLD Star 20/40 are both Star drag reels.