Silly Jigmaster question

Started by Crow, October 20, 2017, 10:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

OK, any "narrow" (501 size) Jigmaster would be "labeled" 501. Correct ? If it says "500", it would mean someone bought 501 posts and seat(and spool) and narrowed it themselves ? Reason for asking...I just received a "narrow" 500, a really *clean* reel.....very little -to- no corrosion, only a minor bit of *rash* on one end plate, but, I could barely turn the handle, and free spool was in the millisecond range. I pulled the head plate, and there was "0"grease...or oil...on anything ! This thing is totally dry! It has ,what appears to be , asbestos drag washers, and the brass washers show no signs of ever having "slipped"...no scratches at all.
    So, if someone put this "narrow" version together....why is it so darn "dry" ? I'm sure Penn greased their reels when they put them together, so, obviously, someone "degreaed" the thing (when they narrowed it), and it did have line on the spool (which is aluminum).....some brown colored mono , stiff enough to use as a "slinky".
    I guess, this is just one of those things that make you say,"HUH !" Anyway, some oil....and some blue grease....made things a whole lot smoother ! I'll post some pix, later, in the "as found" thread, but, I am "curious" as to the labeling on these reels, as I've seen quite a few "narrow" 500's, but only a few 501's
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

There are lots of narrowed Jigmasters out there Crow. People have narrowed them for many years. Scott's used to sell "narrowing" kits for Jigmasters, but sold out long ago.
I have a 501 that's been "widened" to a 500...youl'll see them occasionally too. As to the dry gears,
I've seen that a few times too. It really does make you wonder. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

scrinch

I just went through my brother's old jigmasters. One had old grease on it that was the consistency of beeswax. Another was completely dry like you describe, and the asbestos drag washers were all solidified together so that I had to pry and then chisel them out of the main gear.  I doubt that he ever had them serviced before, so it seems like some were put together with grease and others perhaps only lightly oiled.

Gfish

Only silly questions are the ones ya "don't" ask. There's a buncha different products out there for turnin a 500 into a 501 ora 501 size. I like the Cortez Classic I have.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

I put the jiggy" back together....with lubrication...just as I found it...with the "stock" drag set up. I really want to fish it that way, at least for a while....just to make me appreciate the carbon fiber that I've been installing in my other reels ! LOL !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

RowdyW

so, what's the point?    ???

Tunanorth

Jigmaster sideplates were/are "quick take apart", allowing fast spool change, but for multiple reel owners it would be very easy to mix-and-match the sideplates during any kind of off-season service project.
Back in the day, it would not be unusual for an angler to own a half-dozen or more Jigmasters, including not only 500's and 501's, but a goodly number of "Albacore Specials" [99 width], and even a few "Yellowfin Specials" [extra-wide].