Pro Gear Eccentric Lever - Tip

Started by Bryan Young, June 17, 2011, 05:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Hi guys.  I just received a purple Pro Gear 251 and noticed that the reel did not have a mark where the eccentric lever hits the reel's frame.  It had a tubing on in replacing the 2 O-rings that came on the eccentric lever knob.  Wow, such a simple, but great idea, I am now puting it on all of my PG eccentric levers, except I use heat shrink tubing...2 layers even though I think 1 would be sufficient.  Here's a pic of the eccentric lever with the tubing on it.

Such a great tip, I though I'd share it.

Thanks to Bryan (Charter Boat Captain from San Diego) for this tip.  
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Good idea Bryan, you could also use these bolt protective caps to match the color, just in case you where as uptight as myself.
Here is a couple of pictures of some of my customs that I did a while back.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

Very slick! But will the eccentric lever travel as much as it should? It looks to me like it might not quite get to where it should be for either free spool or retrieve. That's not a problem, is it?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

Not at all Akfish, the lever has plenty of room to engage and dis-engage. I'm showing two but I actually customized a few dozen, all of them without problems. I sold most of them and only kept a few. You could find the caps at Home Depot by the nuts and bolts section, you could try them for yourself. Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

The eccentric lever had 2 O-rings that were thicker than the tubing, so I don't anticipate any problems.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D